Anyone have a good ESB recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
I couldn't find anything in the recipe section for an extract ESB. Anyone have a good tried and tested recipe? I googled it, but didn't find anything I really wanted. Preferably it would use Golding and fuggles (Not too important though) as those are the hops that I started growing this year. They won't be any use to me right now, I'm just trying to plan for the future.

Check out Jamil Zainasheff's show on ESB (link goes to mp3). He gives a recipe (both extract and all-grain) and a bunch of brewing tips for the style, to help you dial it in. Any recipe you get from Jamil, whose book Brewing Classic Styles is a great, great resource, is tried and true. The recipes in the book and the recipes in the radio show are the same.

Check out Jamil Zainasheff's show on ESB (link goes to mp3). He gives a recipe (both extract and all-grain) and a bunch of brewing tips for the style, to help you dial it in. Any recipe you get from Jamil, whose book Brewing Classic Styles is a great, great resource, is tried and true. The recipes in the book and the recipes in the radio show are the same.

Oh yeah!! Thanks!! I had forgotten about that resource! I listened to an IPA show a few weeks ago. It was very good! I'll go give that another look. Duh! How did forget them! :drunk:

I have an extract ESB recipe posted in the recipe section myself, if you click on the name arrow thingy you'll see it.

Mine's pretty much Jamil's Ordinary Bitter scaled up to an ESB.

I have an extract ESB recipe posted in the recipe section myself, if you click on the name arrow thingy you'll see it.

Mine's pretty much Jamil's Ordinary Bitter scaled up to an ESB.

Thanks!! :D That looks great! I Think I'm gonna give that a go! Just the kind of thing I was looking for. I just wish I was better at searching this site. I mean, I know all the information is here, I just can't always find it. :(

I've made the following on more than a few occasions, and it's always turned out very well. Because I use Muntons, which ferments quite dry, as well as sugar, I use a lower-attenuating English yeast to retain some body.

Chiswick ESB

A ProMash Recipe Report

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 6.50
Anticipated OG: 1.053 Plato: 13.06
Anticipated SRM: 10.0
Anticipated IBU: 38.9
Brewhouse Efficiency: 40 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
76.9 5.00 lbs. Muntons DME - Light England 1.046 5
15.4 1.00 lbs. Crystal 55L Great Britian 1.034 55
7.7 0.50 lbs. Demerara Sugar Generic 1.041 1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
0.75 oz. Target Pellet 9.00 32.8 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Pellet 4.75 6.2 15 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 4.75 0.0 0 min.

Yeast
-----

DCL Yeast S-04 SafAle English Ale

Just to save you some time, as I have BCS right in front of me:

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.015
IBU: 40
SRM: 8

12 lbs Maris Otter or 8.6 lbs LME
0.5 lbs Crystal 15L
0.25 lbs Crystal 120L

Mash @ 152F

2.0 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60 min
1.0 oz East Kent Goldings @ 0 min

WLP002/Wyeast 1968/Safale S-04

I have an all extract ESB that I have had very good results with. I call it Hog Drool Ale.

Original Gravity 1.059

Terminal Gravity 1.014

Color 13.03 °SRM

Bitterness 45.7 IBU

Alcohol (%volume) 6.0 %

6.67 lbs. John Bull Light (2-cans)
1 lbs. Dry Dark Extract
0.3 lbs. Dark Brown Sugar
1.5 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 60 min.
0.5 oz. East Kent Goldings (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 5 min.
0.5 oz. Fuggle (Pellets, 4.75 %AA) boiled 0 min
Yeast : Danstar Nottingham

Bring 2-gal. water almost to boil, add the dark DME. Bring to full boil and add the 60-min. hops. After 30-min. add the LME, the brown sugar and bring back to boil. After another 30-min. add the remaining hops, cool the wort, add water to bring volume to 5-gal, and pitch re-hydrated yeast. I prime at bottling with 1/2-cup corn sugar.

Quick and dirty, but dang good beer, never lasts long!

I made it to the mini best in show for English Pale Ales in the second round of the national homebrew competition with this recipe

Thanks guys!! There is a ton to choose from there! I think I'm going to print them all out and come up with the aspects of them that I reckon will work best for me. I found the Jamil show very useful, and one of the things he said was important if making an English style ESB was to keep all the ingredients English (Especially the yeast). So I think I will go that route based on the recipes I see here. That would involve minimal tinkering from me from the base of these recipes! :)

Just to save you some time, as I have BCS right in front of me:

OG: 1.056
FG: 1.015
IBU: 40
SRM: 8

12 lbs Maris Otter or 8.6 lbs LME
0.5 lbs Crystal 15L
0.25 lbs Crystal 120L

Mash @ 152F

2.0 oz East Kent Goldings @ 60 min
1.0 oz East Kent Goldings @ 0 min

WLP002/Wyeast 1968/Safale S-04

I kinda like how simple this one is... have you brewed it yet? Anyone else?

Im kinda new to hombrewing how would you turn that SN ESB into an extract recipe ?

Converting grain to extract is pretty simple. One pound of pale malt of any type equals 0.75 pounds of extract syrup or 0.6 pounds of extract powder. Use Pale or Light extract.

It's difficult to exactly match grists containing Maris Otter malt, because Maris Otter malt extract is difficult to find. Williams Brewing carry Maris Otter syrup. You can use the commonly-available Briess Gold extract for the pale malt in the recipe.

In terms of technique, just steep the Crystal malt and follow your regular extract-brewing techniques for the rest of the recipe.

Cheers!

Bob

For 5.5 gallon batch. This one is tough because I'm not positive you'll always hit the BJCP guidelines. I measured an OG of 1.048 which qualifies, but beersmith predicts 1.047 which means it's an SB. At 1.048 it qualifies as both though.

3.75# Cooper's English Bitter LME (hopped)
3# light DME
1oz Willamette hops @ 15 minutes
Wyeast 1098 British Ale

I use 1# of the DME for a 1-gallon starter. You can get away with about a 25-30 minute boil for the entire batch.

It's my house ESB for it's level of ease. It's not the cheapest beer at close to $.90-$.95 per pint with re-used yeast, but everyone likes it.

It's also a quick turnaround. Mine was ready in a month.

I just brewed my 3rd ESB, I attempted a Fuller's but we'll see in a few weeks. One thing I've noticed and incorporated into my recipe is corn sugar in an extract recipe. This was my 3rd esb and my first two finished too sweet. The Burton's yeast (WLP029) I used doesn't attenuate that low plus I usually don't see extract brews finishing below 1.020 so I added 4oz of sugar to this one to hopefully add a crisp finish.

Just my experience.

I brewed a Red Hook ESB from midwest. It came out delicious. One of the best beers I have had. I looked on the website and it doesn't give the recipe to clone beers. Or at least, that one. I threw away the directions for it. I wish I didn't now.

A buddy tried the one out of Palmer's book, and I recall it tasting quite nice...

Lord Crouchback's Special Bitter
3.3# pale LME (in boil)
3.3# pale LME (at knockout)
0.5# crystal 60 malt (steeped)

BG for 3 gal: 1.040
OG for 5 gal: 1.047
FG: 1.012

0.5 oz. Target (9.0%) at T-60 min (IBUs: 17)
0.75 oz. EK Goldings (5.0%) at T-30 min (IBUs: 11)
0.75 oz. EK Goldings (5.0%) at T-15 min (IBUs: 7)

Wyeast 1099 (Whitbread Ale) for 10 days at 65degF in primary fermenter

Don't like steeping? Lose the 60L, change the LME to 4.0# at boil, and use 2.0# amber DME at knockout instead of the pale LME. We steeped, and used a starter for the Wyeast, and racked to secondary after 10 days, in for a bit over one week, then bottled with 3/4cup corn sugar to two cups of water. After a few weeks we tasted it, yummy! After a month and it had a very full head.

Now I'm thirsty. I may have to try it out myself... It's been a long year without ! :D

Back