Rolled Oats clarification

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zooom101

Reaction score
I'm making an oatmeal stout that calls for a pound of rolled oats. The recipe calls for me to steep specialty grains (not including oats), remove them and add malt extracts, honey, oats, and hops and boil for an hour. My question is: should I use instant oats or regular oats. If it is going to be boiled for an hour does it matter?

Thanks for the feedback,
Billy

i would use regular rolled oats, that what I used in my last brew. Also, I carefully roasted them at 350 to add extra depth of flavor

Regular oats. Sounds like the recipe is looking for protein and starch from the oats to add body.

I don't think you want to boil oats in your wort- you'd have an oatmeal in your wort. Maybe the recipe suggests doing that to convert them, but I've never heard of anything like that.

You can cook them first, and add them into the mash with the other grains. You'll need some base malt to convert the oats.

I don't think you want to boil oats in your wort- you'd have an oatmeal in your wort. Maybe the recipe suggests doing that to convert them, but I've never heard of anything like that.

You can cook them first, and add them into the mash with the other grains. You'll need some base malt to convert the oats.

Agreed, sounds like an iffy recipe to me.

I'm with YooperBrew on this; you need to do a mash when using oats.

I've tried steeping flaked oats once, and the only thing they did for me was make a lot of foam during fermentation, causing a blow-off. They contributed no flavour, head retention or mouthfeel to the final brew.

Thanks for the info guys. I think I know what I'm going to do now. I'm going to mix in a pound of instant oats with the specialty grains that I'm going to be steeping. I'll steep it 155 for 30 minutes. I think because the instant oats are more gelatinized they should convert in the shorter period of time.

Oh, I see what you're saying now. I think I'm going to have to modify this recipe somewhat.

FIRST, you have to cook the oats. THEN, you have to mash them with some base malt. Both steps are needed.

With flaked/rolled oats the gelatinization has already been done so they don't need to be boiled before mashing (instant/quick are gelatinized more completely, but I have never had a problem with old fashion). Boiling would only be needed when using an adjunct that has not been flaked (like oat groats).

With flaked/rolled oats the gelatinization has already been done so they don't need to be boiled before mashing (instant/quick are gelatinized more completely, but I have never had a problem with old fashion). Boiling would only be needed when using an adjunct that has not been flaked (like oat groats).

I thought there was a distinction between "rolled" and "flaked," with flaked being done under higher heat and thus gelatinized.

I thought there was a distinction between "rolled" and "flaked," with flaked being done under higher heat and thus gelatinized.

I don't believe there is necessarily a difference, but from the look of things the flaked ones are similar to the quick (1-minute) variety. The only difference I am aware of between quick and old fashion is that the quick variety have been flaked thinner. Instant oats (IIRC) have been cooked and then dried into tiny flakes.

Back