Steep-It-To-Yourself Gluten Free Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

glutarded-chris

Reaction score
This is a simple recipe with sorghum LME base but dressed up with steeped crystal, candy syrup and maltodextrin. This is one of my favorites without doing a partial mash. A variation would be to offset some of the sorghum LME for brown rice syrup.

5 gallon batch

Cracked grain steeped in one gallon of water at 160F for 30 minutes
1 lb Millet Crystal
0.25 lb Buckwheat Crystal

3.5 gallon boil:
6.6 lb Briessweet sorghum LME ( 3.3 lb at 60 min and 3.3 lb at 0 minutes)
0.5 lb Maltodextrin (60 min)
1 lb Belgian Candy Syrup 5L (0 minutes)

Hops:
1 oz Cascade (60 min)
0.5 oz E. K. Goldings (15 min)
1.5 oz E. K. Goldings (0 min)

1 tablet Wirlfloc (15 min)
5 teaspoons yeast nutrient (15 min)

Safale US-05 yeast (hydrated with pre-boilded water at 100F)

Boil Gravity: 1.035 to 1.045
OG: 1.060
FG: 1.012

One week in primary, additional 2 weeks in secondary.

Notes:
At flameout, delay active wart temperature reduction for 15 minutes so the aroma hops can steep.

For bittering hops I target 6 to 7 AAU of anything. I show Cascade above because that is what I had at the time.
My experience is the Goldings hops matches well with the sorghum LME.
The steeped crystal can be any proportion from 100% Millet to 100% Buckwheat.

Does this GF ale have a similar flavor and mouth feel to a regular All Grain Pale?

Do you have an online source for the Millet and Buckwheat and other GF ingredients?

You can get the grain from Colorado Malting Company
coloradomaltingcompany.com
The website is not very clear, you go to the gluten free grain tab and at the bottom of the right panel there is a link to download the grain list. You have to email them (Tim) and they will work with you to order the grain. My experience is they always have millet and buckwheat options available but other gluten free grains are malted on a much less frequent basis. If they get a lot of requests then they may be motivated to malt something extra.

You can also try Grouse. Others have stated that they have great grain. I hope she makes it because it looks like a really good business concept. I have contacted them but they don't seem to be good about returning emails.
http://grouseco.com/

I have never done a true all grain batch. I have done partial mashes with sorghum LME and Belgium candy syrup to fill in. The steeped grain works well in my opinion if you don't have the time or desire to go through the extra effort of a partial mash or all grain. Because the efficiencies are lower with gluten free grain, I would expect it to be really difficult to get a good gravity wart without supplementing unless you did something to concentrate the wart like boiling off a lot of water.

Back