Keezer beautification project question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadboy

Reaction score
OK, I have a keezer that's approx 47"w x 22"l x 3.25' tall. It's tall enough I don't need a collar. Right now it's resting on a frame made from a 2x6 on heavy casters.

The lid has a sheet of plywood on it that I plan to tile and trim. That's all fine. My question is how do I attach the frame for the cabinet to the keezer? I can't screw the wood into the keezer without the likely breaking of the lines inside. I was considering maybe screwing a support for the cabinet into the roller frame. Problem there is that's going to be a lot of weight to support.

Any suggestions or examples of what you did? Thanks in advance.

What's the difference if you screw it to the roller frame or not? The weight is still on it...
Also, something to think about... The outer skin of your freezer acts as a heatsink to dissipate the hot side of the coils. So if you cover the sides up completely, you may be asking for problems. I know I've seen a bunch of people do it, but I gotta admit that it does make me wonder what doing so does to the effectiveness of the cooling, and longevity of the freezer.

Well, the roller frame is built to fit under it without being seen. Since there's no overhang I'd have to somehow connect it to the underside of the roller frame in a way that's secure enough to hold the weight of the cabinet.

I figure that the lid will overhang the cabinet so that it's weight doesn't need to be supported. Kind of like what jester did here:

ProppedLid.jpg

I wonder about the dissipation thing too. I figure there will need to be a gap of some sort on all sides to allow air flow. and I've seen images of people having fans in there and all manner of crazy stuff. Just not sure how it will all connect or be powered

I'm LEANING towards trying to secure a couple 2x4s to the bottom of the roller frame, parallel to the front, in such a way that I could secure the side planks to it. But that could be problematic. And since it's already got 2 gas tanks and 3 kegs in it getting the thing on and off and back on the roller frame is a chore to say the least.

but then I see his finished cabinet... The back is open, which makes sense. I THINK there's an inch or two space for air on the sides but I can't be sure from that angle. The front doesn't seem to have any though. It's a puzzle.

OpenLid.jpg

I think I may install a vent on either side and use pc style fans or something behind them to push out the warm air.

Here's where I am now. Still need to add the last stout tap and regular tap, then tile the coffin box and grout the tile then stain the trim.

IMAG0033.jpg

Back