Cheap, lazy, and easy e-biab method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atlantatexas

Reaction score
Well I wanted to move my brewing into the AC. Heat in Texas is rough. I saw all the bright and shiny control panels and just drooled. I looked at wiring diagrams for hours and felt totally intimidated. Well then I found me an electric turkey fryer. It was only 1650 watts and was afraid that it wouldn't be enough heat to do the job. So I built a heat stick with a 1500 watt element. Added a bag made with a Walmart curtain sheer. Did a little house wiring ( drier 220 vac 30 amps split into two 20 amp 110 vac breakers feeding 2 gfic plugs. One for each appliance )and now I am brewing indoors without sweat dripping off the end of my nose. I love it e-biab rocks. I know there are better systems out there but for getting started with electric brewing this is almost too easy.

Sounds great, how much was the turkey fryer? I went with 2 1500W heatsticks; not for the summer...but, for the winter. In MN, summer is perfect for brewing outdoors. Winter, not so much...;)

Turkey fryer was $100 and I like it because I can set the temp and walk away while mashing. I only use the heat stick to bring water to mash temp and then to raise to boil. The rest of the time it is the fryer alone.

Sounds like a great idea! If I didn't already have more brew kettles than I know what to do with, I'd consider this option.

Back