How long does grain (choc malt) keep?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hebby5

Reaction score
I just ground up all my grains including 1/4 lb of choc malt. I thought the choc malt grains (sealed well and kept at room temp) weren't that old. I went back to the last time I brewed with them at it was 9 months ago. Yikes! How well do they keep? Off flavors?

How long should I keep grains for? At what temp?

As always, I appreciate the help.

Chris

Whole grain will keep for well over a year providing it is stored properly.
Properly means cool and dry.
Cool means < 80 F.
I'm not sure what "dry" means. I keep mine in a sealed container in the basement with an anti-desiccant in the container, and have not had any problems with grains up to 18 months old.

-a.

The darker the roast, the longer it will stay good, too. Chocolate malt, kept whole, dry, and in an airtight container, will easily last a year. I wouldn't start worrying about well stored dark malts until they hit the two year mark.

ajf said:
I keep mine in a sealed container in the basement with an anti-desiccant in the container, and have not had any problems with grains up to 18 months old.

An anti-desiccant would something that keeps material from drying out. That's the opposite of what you want.

Probably just meant to say, "desiccant?"

I'm drinking a great ESB made with 2 year old pale malt!
Stored in a pet food container and it has crossed the country twice in my two relocations as an economic refugee.

If your unmilled grain stills tastes OK, brew with it!

rdwhahb!!

Latest posts

Back