It's Cerveza time! Looking for a GREAT Mexican clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffman2

Reaction score
Hey guys, I am living with the loco locals here in South Texas so I frequently get requests to brew a Mexican cerveza. And also my good buddy from the Marines has been bugging me for something that will remind him of our weekend trips to Tijuana (sent him a donkey video but that's not what he meant!) But so far, I have no idea where to start.

I can and will lager this one even though I only have 2 lagers under my belt.

And I'm looking for something along the lines of Modelo (Negra or Especial) or Bohemia. But any advice would be awesome.

Thanks everyone,
Cheers!!

A Vienna lager is very much like Dos Equis. I did Bradsul's recipe, as a double decoction I believe, and it was quite good.

I haven't had Modelo in so long that I forgot what it tastes like!

A Vienna lager is very much like Dos Equis. I did Bradsul's recipe, as a double decoction I believe, and it was quite good.

I haven't had Modelo in so long that I forgot what it tastes like!

Thanks Yooper! Modelo is really tasty if you can get it from Mexico. It's dry and crisp and very refreshing!

I haven't done any multiple decoctions yet, so I guess that might be a nice challenge :ban:

So far I've looked at BradSul's recipe and it looks good. I'm about to go to the beer store, so I'm still wondering about Modelo type recipes

Have you ever tried Desperados? It's not exactly authentic but they add a small amount of tequila to each bottle, and not only does it boost the % but it tastes great ;)

Have you ever tried Desperados? It's not exactly authentic but they add a small amount of tequila to each bottle, and not only does it boost the % but it tastes great ;)

Never heard of it......only thing that comes to mind like that was that Tequiza disaster. Think I'd rather drink rusty toilet water :mad:

Beers like these are all about the yeast. They're always based on German lager recipes, which are usually pretty simple (munich helles, for example), with the majority of the flavor being the yeast. I believe White Labs' Mexican Lager yeast is Groupo Modelo's yeast, so that would be a good place to start.

Keep us posted if you find a good recipe.

I would like to brew a Modelo clone too.

E

Well, I went shopping yesterday and decided to keep it simple. Yooper recommended Bradsul's Vienna Lager and I trust in Yooper :D So I thought I'd try to go with that but use the Mexican Lager yeast instead of his German yeast that he went with.

Only problem was that they didn't have the WL Mexican yeast. So, I'm going with the exact same recipe as Bradsul's (converted to 5 gallon batch). Unless somebody can recommend something a bit different to add before brew day this weekend...........

I was wondering about a little twist on the Vienna Smash I was looking at and that does look pretty tasty. Wonder if I can turn my 10 pounds Vienna into something similar to this for a 5 g batch?

Back