Krausen won't fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale to the Chief

Reaction score
I just brewed my first hefe and had a huge and healthy fermentation. Had to rig my first blowoff tube and clean up my first mess.

Anyway, fermentation is now done (it's been about 10 days) but there is still a thick, frothy krausen sitting on top of the beer. All my other beers the krausend has fallen to the bottom but this one continues to sit on top and looks like its getting brown or something. My question is...is this bad for the beer? Do I need to make this fall before I can rack to the bottling bucket?? Thanks

You can gently rock the fermenter and get it to move and that will help it settle. It will settle out with time though. I don't do hefe's but I have heard this before.

Hi,
I would not worry about it - just try not to suck up too much of it when you are siphoning the beer off. Its not that unusual. The yeast may just not be flocculating well.

Cheers,
Brad

Back