growing hops in the shade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ben the brewman

Reaction score
the only spot i have that i can grow them is in a shaded area of my house. it only gets sun in the morning and not the afternoon. would something like this be ok i guess it has to be cause i dont have any other options.

If you have no choice, just make sure the area drains well. You may be able to do it, but not if the area doesn't dry out properly...

I have the same problem, but I only get sun in the late afternoon. I am trying it this year for the first time. I just planted them this weekend and the plant arrived with some shoots about 3 inches. If they don't do well, maybe I will work harder finding a place to mve them to next year.

Give it a shot, you don't have much to loose.

This will be my first year growing hops. One variety I considered is Golden Sunbeam - a variety that needs partial shade.

thymegarden.com is sold out for this year, but it may be available elsewhere.

i bought those from thymegarden and they are growing like beasts. They are about 2 weeks old now and about 6-8 inches tall and really leafy

Freshops still has some Sunbeam. You might also consider Canadian Redvine, I'm told it is "Vigorous"

My Sunbeam is on its second year & was the last one to break ground this year. But we are still having freezing weather.

well its been one week exactly and 1 of the 3 rhizomes have sprouted in the shade. i checked the amount of sun that area gets and ist from 9:30 to 12:30. once they start to grow up the vine they will recive more sun.

I wouldn't worry. Mine are growing like crazy and they are shaded for a good portion of the day. They are shaded most of the morning sun and early afternoon.

i found that they get almost exactly 4 hours of sun every day. they have been in the ground for 2 weeks and a few days now and i have 1 rhizome that has 2 sprouts one is almost 4 inches and the other is about 2 inches. the other 2 rhizomes are still not sprouting yet. i also purchased a crown from fresh hops.

Back