stopping carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matthewjscott

Reaction score
I have heard that if you are content with the current carbonation after one week or so of bottle conditioning, you can heat the bottles to a certain temp to stop carbonation. Any details would be greatly appreciated.

I believe around 140°F kills yeast. But I don't know what effect heating up compressed liquids and gasses is going to have. Not having a lot of knowledge on the subject, I wouldn't try it. It's much safer to just refrigerate the bottles or adjust your priming sugar amounts to a more acceptable level.

Refrigeration would essentially stop it, but only temporarily. If they warm up it will start again.

This is true. But I rarely chill, then warm, then chill my beer. I would say adjusting priming amounts is the best option, followed by chilling, followed (very distantly) by trying to pastuerize beer in a bottle.

IIRC, that's what you're referring to when you say heat up the bottles to stop fermentation. Pasteurization refers to heating to a temperature that kills organisms, including yeast.

Back