Weird off flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Csuho

Reaction score
I just did a wit beer again yesterday my 3 wit beer in about a yr. Well the crush went well after rebuilding the hopper/base for my homemade mill so I was happy there (as before it was a pain in the butt). Mash in went well with my paint stirrer for the drill. Missed my temp on my mash out was aiming for 168ish got 160. Got all my volumes right on had the boil going quick with propane and heat stick combo. had to back the boil down as i was gonna boil off too much. Added old hops(almost 2 yrs old in vacuum sealed bags. This was the 2nd time I used my march pump/ counterflow chiller had all kinds of trouble again I even tried to whirlpool this time and it still wouldn't pump, so I had to dump into my old kettle with a paint strainer bag to catch all the hops, orange peel, coriander. then dump back into the big kettle to pump out. Finally got that going I got it chilled pretty quick but i need to work more on how to get it all going as its a little bit of a pain right now. After all this mess I lost about .5 gallon somewhere I think it was still in the hop/spice mix. As some of them were whole hops. But I took a little sample before I added the yeast that I brought back after almost a year ago(that made me happy that I did do something right there) and the sample was very astringent/ bitter. I built the water for this with 95% Ro water and the rest my filtered tap water. ibu;s were around 21. 90 min boil hops at 60,30,15 spices were 1oz dried orange peel, 1oz coriander at 5 mins

I figured I would let this ferment out and we will see what it tastes like after fermentation. I have never tasted a prefermentation batch so maybe I am jumpin the boat here time will tell. Thanks for lettin me vent here I thought it was gonna be a good brew day but it was just eh ok but I did make some progress.

I'd wait to make any judgements about flavor until it's done fermenting.

As for your pump problems...what sort of diptube do you have on your kettle? If you can't get a good whirlpool, then you need to filter it better before it gets to the pump.

thats what i was thinking.

as for diptube i have 1/2 copper that goes from the 1/2 weldless to a 1/2 copper 90 to another 1/2 copper 90 turned down some so it touches the bottom of the kettle. in the non wort runs i can get all but a 1/4 cup of water outta it. i am guessing i need to do 1 of them hop strainer things.

I'm assuming a hop strainer would help also. I've got a keggle, so the bottom of my keg isn't flat. It makes it very easy to siphon wort from the side and get all but maybe a cup out. Of course, I don't use a CFC, so I don't need to worry about whirlpooling.

Back