Hefeweizen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EndlessWinter77

Reaction score
So I made a batch using 3.3 lbs (one can) of Muntons "Wheat" Malt Extract, one pound of Breiss Bavarian Weizen Dry Malt Extract, and one ounce of hops. All in 6 gal of water. It is turning out to be a fairly dark colored beer compared with any Hefes I have ever drank. Wondering ho to get my beer a nice straw color like the others?

Making a true color hefeweizen with extracts is next to impossible. You might get lighter colors by using a technique known as late extract addition and by using dry-only extract. Liquid extract is darker due to the manufacturing process.

carmelization occurs and it darkens it a bit...but so what? i'll bet it's still damn tasty
:mug:

try a partial mash with 2 lbs pilsner and 3 lbs wheat

ad 3 lbs wheat DME in the last ten minutes of the boil

that will turn out nice and light

If you want straw color, you need to switch to all grain. My extract american wheat is darker than it should be. I plan to AG it next.

I just did a late addidtion hefe, that turned out very light in color. I will post a pic after I crack the first bottle later this week.

Basically I steeped .5# each of Wheat Malt & Carapils and used 1# of Wheat DME @ 60 min then added the other 5# at 15 min. It will still be a hair darker than it technically should be, but is quite golden.

I just did a late addidtion hefe, that turned out very light in color. I will post a pic after I crack the first bottle later this week.

Basically I steeped .5# each of Wheat Malt & Carapils and used 1# of Wheat DME @ 60 min then added the other 5# at 15 min. It will still be a hair darker than it technically should be, but is quite golden.

2556903652_83691efd1f.jpg

Here is how it turned out. Maybe a wee bit dark but still good for an extract.
:mug:

I just did a late addidtion hefe, that turned out very light in color.

I did the same with my Hefe. I steeped 1 lb. wheat malt along with 7 lbs. Alexanders wheat LME, 1 lb. at the beginning of the boil and the remaining 6 lbs. with only 5 minutes to go. It looks very similar to yours and tastes awesome.

Back