Peanut Butter Porter W/Powdered Peanut Butter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperiorBrew

Reaction score
I had been wanting to try a PB Porter and wasnt looking forward to the deoiling so I come up with this stuff, its called PB2 from Bell Plantation
I brewed it up Easter Sunday

jug_003.jpg

Here is the recipe, I did 10 gallons and was thinking of racking half over some fat free cocoa for a Peanut Butter Cup. Anyone think this will work? If so how much and for how long?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Peanut Butter Porter
Brewer: SuperiorBrew
Asst Brewer:
Style: Brown Porter
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (0.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 11.50 gal
Boil Size: 13.69 gal
Estimated OG: 1.051 SG
Estimated Color: 23.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 23.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
9 lbs Pauls Mild Ale Malt (2 Row) UK (2.9 SRM) Grain 39.13 %
8 lbs Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 34.78 %
2 lbs Brown Malt (65.0 SRM) Grain 8.70 %
1 lbs Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1 lbs Fawcett Oat Malt UK (2.1 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1 lbs Fawcett Pale Chocolate Malt UK (2.7 SRM) Grain 4.35 %
1 lbs Simpsons Medium Crystal 50/60 UK (3.0 SRM)Grain 4.35 %
2.50 oz Fuggles Pellet 2.7% [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 16.2 IBU
1.50 oz Fuggles Pellet 2.7% [4.50 %] (20 min) Hops 5.9 IBU
1.00 oz Fuggles Pellet 2.7% [4.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU
1.00 tsp Super Irish Moss (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
1.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.30 tbsp 5.2 (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
6.70 oz PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter (Boil 15.0 minMisc
6.70 oz PB2 Powdered Peanut Butter (Boil 30.0 minMisc
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 23.00 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 7.19 gal of water at 169.8 F 154.0 F

Notes:
------
4L Starter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What a find!

I have been interested in the PB recipes on this board, but was not looking forward to the prospect of de-oiling my peanut butter, a process which -- as described here, takes between several weeks and several months (!!) It looks like the Bells product has a bit of flour in it -- probably just enough to prevent caking.

Don't have an answer for your cocoa question, but I believe this was discussed in a PB stout thread I perused a while ago.

I'd be interested to hear how this turns out.

It's just Peanuts, salt, sugar (NO preservatives).

Through a unique process created by Bell Plantation that does not involve the use of any chemicals nor does it alter nature's balance in peanuts; over 75% of the fat is removed from the peanuts. Essentially, the oil is squeezed out of roasted peanuts and what remains is our famous powdered peanut butter.

I see on their website that they sell the oil separately. Better than having us all pour it down the sink or in the trash. Now it can be used to create delicious deep fried treats.

Man, I'll be really interested to hear the results on this. I did a PB stout that I enjoyed, but it wasn't quite PB enough for me, but the oil wrecked havoc on my head retention. Please keep us posted!

Melana said:
Wow that stuff sounds great!

SWMBO mixes the PB powder with jelly and puts it on her bagel.
It tasted just like natural PB when you mix it with water, just not as sweet.

clemson55 said:
I'll be interested to see how this compares to the PB stout I made with the deoiled PB.

How did you do yours and how did it turn out?

clemson55 said:
I'll be interested to see how this compares to the PB stout I made with the deoiled PB.

holy **** you used powdered PB? That stout was simply amazing. Rich I wanna try that porter when it is finished maybe a private swap if your up for it.

RICLARK said:
holy **** you used powdered PB? That stout was simply amazing. Rich I wanna try that porter when it is finished maybe a private swap if your up for it.

I think he meant he deoiled a natural PB by spreading it out and blotting it off.

I'm always up for private swaps.

SuperiorBrew said:
I think he meant he deoiled a natural PB by spreading it out and blotting it off.

I'm always up for private swaps.

Thats what I meant about 10 days of deoiling a lb of PB. Put it on top of a lot of paper towels spread it to about 1/4-3/16" thick and then lots more paper towels on top to absorb the oils out then added it to the boil. Everyone that has tried it has made good comments. Riclark is the only one of the 3 March beer swap people who has responded so far but several people I know have tried it and liked it.

Holy crap, I must try this. Next up is my Pyramid Apricot clone, after that.... well, I've been meaning to brew a stout!!!

clemson55 said:
Thats what I meant about 10 days of deoiling a lb of PB. Put it on top of a lot of paper towels spread it to about 1/4-3/16" thick and then lots more paper towels on top to absorb the oils out then added it to the boil. Everyone that has tried it has made good comments. Riclark is the only one of the 3 March beer swap people who has responded so far but several people I know have tried it and liked it.

I respect the innovation, the dedication and especially the effort, but seriously, would anyone do this if they knew that de-oiled powdered PB was available. I think SuperiorBrew deserves big kudos for bringing this to our attention. I was planning on brewing up a fatty stout in a coupla weeks for one of my coworkers who likes dark beer (I don't especially), but am now plotting to make it a peanut butter cup stout. Thanks to SuperiorBrew, I don't have to have already started the de-oiling process!!

BakerStreetBeers said:
I respect the innovation, the dedication and especially the effort, but seriously, would anyone do this if they knew that de-oiled powdered PB was available. I think SuperiorBrew deserves big kudos for bringing this to our attention. I was planning on brewing up a fatty stout in a coupla weeks for one of my coworkers who likes dark beer (I don't especially), but am now plotting to make it a peanut butter cup stout. Thanks to SuperiorBrew, I don't have to have already started the de-oiling process!!

No kidding...major kudos to you SuperiorBrew. I'm definitely going to be keeping my eye on this one- I hope it turns out great!

I will be interested to see how it turns out as well. How strong a flavor does the powdered PB have? Because all the flavor is really in the oils. Even when I deoiled the PB I probably only removed a moderate percentage of the oil. I think having some of the oil which you leave behind when racking is what will actually generates a lot of the PB flavor.

clemson55 said:
I will be interested to see how it turns out as well. How strong a flavor does the powdered PB have? Because all the flavor is really in the oils. Even when I deoiled the PB I probably only removed a moderate percentage of the oil. I think having some of the oil which you leave behind when racking is what will actually generates a lot of the PB flavor.

I tried it per their directions of mixing 2T powder to 1T water and it was just like the real thing. The hydrometer sample sure tasted and smelled like PB, actually I am hoping it will mellow with age.

It's been 2 weeks, maybe I will rack it this week to secondarys and taste it again. Any one think that just racking over cocoa will work?

I've heard of people racking over cocoa nibs in the secondary, so I don't see why doing the same thing with cocoa powder wouldn't work. You could also try chocolate extract in the secondary (I did that with my chocolate stout with good results from what I can tell so far.)

BakerStreetBeers said:

+1 nice find. Please keep everyone updated.

SuperiorBrew said:
I tried it per their directions of mixing 2T powder to 1T water and it was just like the real thing. The hydrometer sample sure tasted and smelled like PB, actually I am hoping it will mellow with age.

It's been 2 weeks, maybe I will rack it this week to secondarys and taste it again. Any one think that just racking over cocoa will work?

I think you'll be fine with the cocoa. I've been studying up on some of the chocolate stout threads here and people seem to have had good results with cocoa powder as well as with actual chocolate pieces (semisweet or unsweetened). The general approach is to rack the beer over this chocolate in the secondary.

I am going to give this a try in a few weeks, good find on the powdered pb.

Here is my current recipe that I just threw together for it.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Chocolate Peanut Butter Stout
Brewer: Christopher
Asst Brewer: Erica
Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 35.6 SRM
Estimated IBU: 35.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
11.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 81.48 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
1.00 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 7.41 %
0.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 3.70 %
1.00 oz Magnum [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 35.4 IBU
4 oz Powdered Peanut Butter (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
6 oz Hershey's Cocoa Powder (Boil 5.0 min) Misc

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 13.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Full Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 16.88 qt of water at 164.8 F 153.0 F

ChrisKennedy said:
I am going to give this a try in a few weeks, good find on the powdered pb.

Here is my current recipe that I just threw together for it.

Looks tasty. Hops maybe a little bit heavy at 35 IBU, but maybe the whole deal is going to be sweet enough to deal with it.

For the PB, in the recipe I've been considering I was going to use the whole jar of the bells powdered PB ... if I recall it's close to 7 oz. That was based entirely on the fact that the PB beer recipes I've seen used a pound and bells says that their 7oz (ish) jar is equivalent to a standard 18 oz jar of regular pb.

I've also been looking at all of the pb recipes as well as stout recipes using chocolate and thinking about the best way to add these. For the chocolate/cocoa, the blended consensus seems to be to add some toward the end of the boil and some in the secondary. Since a lot of what we want from the pb and chocolate is aromatic/esters and these might be boiled out or fermented out in primary, adding at least part of them in secondary makes sense to me (much like fruit).

I'm still debating making this for my batch-after-next. I want to do a stout, but since I'm going to be do doing a southern pecan (brown ale) type clone next, I'm not sure I want to go completely "nuts". Peanut butter cup might have to wait.

In any case I'd be very interested to hear how this turns out. If my pecan turns out perhaps we can arrange a swap.

Agreed on the IBUs, probably gonna drop it down a bit.

Edit: My 4oz is based on the fact that he seems to think the 6.5oz (entire jar) was a bit heavy tasting, though this was only in the secondary. I figure if it tastes a little light in peanut butter, I could try adding it to taste after it is done fermenting.

ChrisKennedy said:
Agreed on the IBUs, probably gonna drop it down a bit.

Edit: My 4oz is based on the fact that he seems to think the 6.5oz (entire jar) was a bit heavy tasting, though this was only in the secondary. I figure if it tastes a little light in peanut butter, I could try adding it to taste after it is done fermenting.

Actually maybe they're not so high after all (the IBUs). I took a look at the recipe I was considering starting with for my pb cup stout and it's got 35 as well. It's from this board's z987k's chocolate stout recipe:

10lbs 2row
2lbs chocolate malt
.5lb caraffa III
.5lb CaraPils
1lb lactose
1oz Warrior 35mins (= 35 IBU)

4oz bakers chocolate at the end of the boil
4oz semi-sweet chocolate in the secondary

I'm pretty sure that my LHBS does not carry caraffa malt so have to find a substitute for that.

I was planning on matching my PB with the chocolate -- half a jar of the powdered at end of boil and half in the secondary. Probably will mix with water and heat to 130+ for 10 minutes or so to semi-pasteurize. Might also opt to use cocoa nibs instead of chocolate.

Today 3.5 weeks later I kegged 5G and racked the other 5G over 4oz of the fat free cocoa.
It smells great and I tasted the hydrometer sample and you can taste the peanut butter but its not over the top, rather subtle but you know its in there. I chilled another sample and will try that later when its cold. Very pleased so far, there was just a tiny bit of oil floating on the surface I put almost 11G into the primary so I just left the oily stuff behind.

I will taste this in a week and see how the chocolate is coming through. I am thinking a week or two should be enough time.

pbporter.JPG

It tastes great but not enough peanut butter, Would use 2 jars per 5 gal next time, its really barely noticeable. I have the second 5 gallons still sitting on some cocoa.

If you dont tell people it has PB in it most of them would never notice it.

If I bottle one out of the tap in the morning do you think it will be good in the evening?

I made a batch based on your assessment that the amount you used was too much, hah, so I only used 3oz of the powdered peanut butter. I think I am going to try to add it right to the primary after fermentation if I can't taste any peanut butter. We will see how it turns out, if it is only a chocolate stout (I also used a can of hershey's cocoa powder) it won't be the worst thing in the world.

As far as I know, you might email them and ask if there are any retailers in your area.

It tastes great but not enough peanut butter, Would use 2 jars per 5 gal next time, its really barely noticeable.
I just made a PB Stout and I'm kinda thinking the same thing you said. I used one jar of PB, and the taste is there, but I'm not sure if it's enough. I only tried it out of the carboy on it's way to the keg. I'll have another taste in a month once it's all carbed up and see how I like it.

*bump*

How did the peanut butter cup porter turn out? How was the cocoa flavor? How well did the two blend?

The PB Porter tastes great, just too light on the PB the other one is still sitting on the cocoa, been busy and its a steady 60º in the garage so I haven't kegged it yet. Maybe this weekend.

Wow, I'm glad this thread popped up today. I missed it originally. This sounds fanastic!

Back