PartiGyle question????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jheld00

Reaction score
So I have searched and have been unable to find a solid answer to my PartiGyle conundrum. I am planning on doing a 10gal batch of Northern Brewer's Wheaten Beatdown. I figured since i will have 17lbs of grain sitting in my mash tun after i collect the runnings for the first 10 gal batch i could in a sense partigyle it and do a 5 gallon second batch. so my question is, is this worth my time and effort and if so how should i go about doing it?

well, i'd start here:
http://***********/component/resource/article/2021-parti-gyle-brewing-techniques

if you're just using a regular recipe and trying to eek some more wort out of a mash, chances of success aren't very high. 17lb of grain, after giving up 10 gallons, will have nothing left. probably not even for a gallon of decent beer.

for reference, i recently parti-gyled a RIS, using 26lb of grain. I got great mash conversion, and after getting 5 gallons of 1.107 RIS, I only manged to get 5 gallons of 1.040 small stout.

well, i'd start here:
http://***********/component/resource/article/2021-parti-gyle-brewing-techniques

if you're just using a regular recipe and trying to eek some more wort out of a mash, chances of success aren't very high. 17lb of grain, after giving up 10 gallons, will have nothing left. probably not even for a gallon of decent beer.

for reference, i recently parti-gyled a RIS, using 26lb of grain. I got great mash conversion, and after getting 5 gallons of 1.107 RIS, I only manged to get 5 gallons of 1.040 small stout.

This. I used 30 lbs. grain for a 1.090 IIPA and 1.047 on the small beer. 17 lbs. of grain, after 1st runnings, won't yield too much.

it's actually not terribly hard, you just have to kind of work backwards and start with what you want to get. You want:

10 gallons of 1.045 wheat
5 gallons of 1.030? 35? small wheat

so, you have (10*45) + (5*35) = 625 points.

If it's 100% pale malt mash, at 70% eff (which equates to 25 ppg), then you'll need 625 / 25 = 25 pounds of malt.

obviously you'll need to tweak it for your grainbill. Then you'll have to figure out how to seperate the runnings to get 10g 1.045 and 5g of 1.035

Back