Re-Pitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moneycoach

Reaction score
is it possible to re-pitch yeast if the SG has not changed much from the OG and activity is slow?

Of course it's possible, in the trivial sense that it is always possible to add more yeast. The better question is, is it advisable? What was the OG, how much yeast did you pitch, at what temp, how long has it been, and what is the gravity now? That's really the minimum amount of information needed to make any kind of recommendation. More information is always better.

It's an APA, i pitched one dry packet of yeast at approx 73 degrees. the OG was 105.80 and it's been 5 days...I have not taken a reading since and there is still activity in the airlock, but it is slow...one bubble every 2-3 seconds...this is my first batch ever...thx

It's an APA, i pitched one dry packet of yeast at approx 73 degrees. the OG was 105.80 and it's been 5 days...I have not taken a reading since and there is still activity in the airlock, but it is slow...one bubble every 2-3 seconds...this is my first batch ever...thx

If you haven't taken a reading how do you know that the gravity has not dropped much from the OG?

You're fine, if it is bubbling it is fermenting. Speed of bubbles (or any bubbles at all) is not an indicator of fermentation- whether it be good or bad. Some yeast strains are just slower than others. Give it time, your beer will be fine and delicious! :mug:

Yup, if you haven't rechecked gravity then you don't know what it is. Since all other signs point to a normal fermentation (as far as we know), let it ride. The less you go mucking about in it and adding stuff, the better it will turn out, in all likelihood. Take a gravity reading in another week to make sure you're getting good attenuation, but otherwise let it be.

Thanks to everyone... I checked yesterday (Day 6) and the FG was 1.012. Tastes good too!!! I believe bottling is next?

Yes, but not for at least another week or 2. Let it sit in primary for a total of 3 weeks or so then bottle it

really? I didn't realize you could leave it in the primary after yeast stopped working...excellent..that gives me more time to get bottles ready!

Latest posts

Back