Converting AG to extract.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choguy03

Reaction score
I have read there have been some people that have converted an AG reciepe to and extract for some people, and I wanted to know if there is an exact way to do this, or does it just come from experience? I have been wanting to do a gumball head clone, but the only reciepe that I can find is an AG. Here is what I have:

All Grain Recipe - Gumball Head Wheat ::: 1.052/1.012 (6 Gal)
Grain Bill (70% Efficiency assumed)
6 lbs. - Wheat Malt
5 lbs. - 2-Row Pale Malt
1 lb. - Caravienne Malt

Hop Schedule (27 IBU)
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - First Wort Hop
1/4 oz. - Amarillo - 60 min.
1/2 oz. - Amarillo - 15 min.
1.25 oz. - Amarillo - 5 min.
1 oz. - Amarillo - 1 min.
1.5 oz. - Amarillo - Dry Hop

Yeast
White Labs California Ale Yeast (WLP001) - 1800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil
Mash at 153° for 60 min.
Sparge as usual
Cool and ferment at 68° to 70°

Thanks for any help guys!! :mug:

Well, to convert it, you just have to replace the base malts with extract. I'm no wheat beer fan, but I can figure it out for you. What size boil are you able to do?

I am actually planning on making this a 5 gal batch. With that, I will be able to do a 6 gal boil.

I don't know how correct this is, but I'm pretty sure I've read it on different threads here, but I use use 75% of base malts for extract, so for that recipe, I would use 4.5# Wheat LME and 3.75# pale LME.

remember that most wheat lme's are actually made using a mixture of wheat and pale malts, resulting in 50-60% wheat usually. i'd only use wheat lme.

here is a post from ratebeer.com I believe that Nick is Nick Floyd at 3 Floyds.

"I have spoken with Nick about this beer and this is what I would do for an extract recipe...

Boil 90 min.
7# wheat LME from NB or Briess (same thing)
6 AAUs of Amarillo @60 min.
4 oz. Amarillo @whirlpool.

Cool to 66 and ferment with a 1 qt. starter of whatever yeast you think is close, I use 1272. let go for 3 days @ 66 and rise to 70 for 4 days. Transfer to a keg if you can with 4 oz. Amarillo and let sit at 70 for 1 week. Crash/keg, or bottle with .9 oz. dextrose/finished gallon of beer."

I am actually planning on making this a 5 gal batch. With that, I will be able to do a 6 gal boil.

Dry or liquid extract?

If liquid, replace the pale malt and wheat malt with 8 pounds of wheat liquid extract, which is 60% wheat, 40% barley malt.

If dry, use 6.5 pounds of wheat DME which is usually 50/50.

Sometimes people post their extract versions of otherwise good recipies using a computer program or something else. You end up getting f@*k-up recipies that call for like five pounds of flaked wheat. Five pounds of flaked wheat is a lot of wheat. I noticed this at my lhbs and decided this recipe was bunk. If the recipe seems weird, then it is probably not good. If you post recipies generated by a program without trying them please stop because peope come here to better their techiques, not waste money and time making stupid recipies.

Beersmith will automatically convert recipes from AG to extract and vice versa. How similar they end up being I can't really say, but it is worth a try.

Sometimes people post their extract versions of otherwise good recipies using a computer program or something else. You end up getting f@*k-up recipies that call for like five pounds of flaked wheat. Five pounds of flaked wheat is a lot of wheat. I noticed this at my lhbs and decided this recipe was bunk. If the recipe seems weird, then it is probably not good. If you post recipies generated by a program without trying them please stop because peope come here to better their techiques, not waste money and time making stupid recipies.

What are you talking about? There isn't any flaked wheat in this recipe.

yooper, fbi365 was just giving an example of odd ingredients in converted recipes he's seen. However, I think he's bitching rudely about people not knowing sweet fukall about recipes and not really contributing to the thread.

yooper, fbi365 was just giving an example of odd ingredients in converted recipes he's seen. However, I think he's bitching rudely about people not knowing sweet fukall about recipes and not really contributing to the thread.

Ahhhh! Ok, gotcha. I wondered what I was missing!

Anyway, to the OP, the recipe I posted should work for you. Let me know if you have any questions.

How is that bitching rudely. I just don't want other people getting burned by extremely bad recipies that tend to show up on this site regularly. Especially when they are converted to extract. But hey, maybe you are one of those people that is posting the BullS&!t recipies EvilTOJ.

I'm glad that the cyber brewing cops are starting to crack down on all these weird recipes. Then again, I'll miss having something to blame when a batch turns out bad.

I would just like to add that the HBD online Beer Recipator could be used to work through the details of making an AG to partial mash / steeping recipe work, while giving the brewer a chance to do minor changes per their taste.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator

I use this since there is no good Linux commercial version that I know of, and I would rather spend my money on beer. The more I experiment with stuff, the harder it is to fit to a style, or any standard. But then again I'm a hop-head going through withdraw symptoms.

The more I learn, the more I realize I know nothing.

Back