Water results, OK for AG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcoletti

Reaction score
Well, I tried an all-grain batch before getting my water tested. I had issues with the beer (no head retention) which I believe is a problem with my process and not the water.

Anything jump out as an issue with my tap water?
pH 7.2
TDS Est 216
EC 0.36
Cations 3.1
Anions 2.7
Sodium 22
Calcium 27
Magnesium 8
Potassium 3
Total Hardness 101
Nitrate 1.4 (SAFE)
Sulfur 12
CO3 < 1
HCO3 53
Chloride 35
Total Alkalinity 44

Before ajdelange can jump in with his mammoth oversized brain (I believe he needs to rest it periodically as it can overheat).

From the numbers given only the lack of Calcium sticks out. The question is how to you add only calcium if sulfate and chloride are where you want them.

Sulfur? I see no Sulfate.

Thanks. The results are from Wards so Sulfate would be 3x = 36. I plugged this into the EZ Water Calc spreadsheet and it appears I'm low on the ranges for Calcium and Sulfate per Palmer's recommendation (50-150 and 50-350 respectively)

Adding a total of 7.8g Gypsum and 3.1g Epsom Salt for a 5.5 gallon batch brings Calcium to 79 and Sulfate to 198. This is more or less in the middle of both ranges.

Is this a good idea (I'll be brewing the Centennial Blonde recipe found here under the Recipes section)?

Well. From what I have read the sulfate will really give your hops a kick. I would thinks that much would be good for an Ipa. The epson salt is magnesium (??) and that is normally gotten in your Malts and is not that important to add.

A centennial blond is a mild delicate brew isn't it?

Just talking out of my butt and anyone should correct me. I'd be careful with magnesium.

Back