Imperial IPA Thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tbeggs15

Reaction score
I am wanting to brew up an Imperial IPA that brings the hops. I have put this one together and I am thinking about brewing it up. What are your thoughts? Are there to many hops? Or does it look about right for an imperial high IBU beer?

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Imperial IPA 1
Brewer: Tyson Beggs
Asst Brewer: Brandon Roedel
Style: Imperial IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 10.00 gal
Boil Size: 12.04 gal
Estimated OG: 1.081 SG
Estimated Color: 8.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 101.3 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
24.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 80.00 %
3.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 11.67 %
2.50 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 8.33 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (90 min) Hops 20.5 IBU
2.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (90 min) (Mash Hop) Hops 8.2 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (90 min) (First Wort HopHops 22.5 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 19.1 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (Dry Hop 7 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (15 min) Hops 7.3 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (15 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (15 min) Hops 9.5 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (5 min) Hops 3.8 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (5 min) Hops 2.9 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (5 min) Hops 1.6 IBU
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.6 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (1 min) Hops 0.8 IBU
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 0.3 IBU
0.50 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min) Misc
2.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient (Primary 3.0 days) Misc
16.00 gal Distilled Water Water
1 Pkgs American Ale (Wyeast Labs #1056) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 30.00 lb
----------------------------
ERROR - All Grain/Partial Mash recipe contains no mash steps

Notes:
------

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've been experimenting with the flavor profiles of hops as of late. I agree with you fully on the types of hops your using, however, depending on what your looking for out of your flavor, you may want to consider adding less hops at the beginning of the boil and loading them up at the end. Then you'll get the real hoppy "flowery aroma" flavor that so many people look for in their IPAs. I see you have 8oz of hops going in under 15 minutes which is exactly what i'm talking about. However, i'm thinking you may want to move one of your 1oz simcoes to a mid boil time like 45 or 30, which will kind of fill in the gap between bitterness and aroma. other than that, your going to end up with a bunch of rockin beer.

Just my opinion. Would love to hear what you have to say, as i'm a beginner too.

Looks ok to me, except 1oz of dryhops is not enough. I usually use at least 3oz in 5g ipa batches. Also, I have never done mash hopping, what do you expect to get out of it? I have done FWH, and had good results. Is it similar? Perhaps use those 2 oz as dryhop?

....too many hops???? I don't understand the question....I don't even know what that means, especially for an IIPA :)

the ibu's are definately up there, i just did a rye ipa and used four noble hop varieties, your recipe looks very hoppy. should be great, the only thing i might recommend is first wort hopping the 90 minute additions and following the rest of your schedule, this will give you a smoother bitterness, yet allow the flavor of the simcoe to come through, even more. don't ask me how, i don't think anyone else knows either, but it does. you will lose a few ibu's, but it seems to make a better brew when you first wort hop instead of your first additions. i have done this my last 3 batches. seems to be the way to go. your brew should be awesome. i may try this myself.

Wow these are some great ideas thanks guys. I like the idea of moving to first wort instead of the 90 min and then the other ideas on 45 minutes will work good too. Oh yeah the to many hops was just looking at a pound of hops. I love hops ;) thanks for the ideas I will keep everyone posted!!

Back