All Grain Cost > Extract, Why

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That is really strange. The one thing I did notice was that the extract version uses 3 lbs. corn sugar at the end of the boil while the AG only uses 2 lbs. But that won't even come close to closing the pricing gap between the extract and the grain. Your best bet is probably to email them and ask about it. Maybe they switched the prices.

The AG version uses a lot of Marris Otter, which they sell at $2/lb. The extract version uses a generic "gold malt syrup". You could always use a more generic and cheaper base malt for the AG version and save some money.

That is pretty weird. I usually save around 10 to 15 bucks doing all grain, sometimes more. I would give them a call/email asking why it's so much.

I think bmellis is on point about the Maris Otter.

The extract kit uses 12# of gold syrup which buying just as is wihtout the kit on their site is 29$.
The all grain version uses 17# of Maris Otter, which at 2$ = 34...which covers most of the cost difference on the two recipes.

You could use the cheaper american 2-row which would probably end up being cheaper, but Maris Otter is nicer.

Back