well i pre-ordered my rhizomes!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan

Reaction score
got an email from my old LHBS when i lived close to indy yesterday saying i could pre-order some ryhizomes. i've read over the sticky, but i better lay down some final plans for the hop garden, haha.

i order 2 of each, Cascade, Centennial, Chinook & Horizon. i live in Louisville, KY and plan on growing 4 here, and my parents are really interested in growing some as well, so they'll get 4 in northern Indiana. i think i'll grow two kinds here, and two up north. anyway, i'm flipping excited about it.

It's supposed to hit 60 degrees here this week, I'm going to get in touch with the electric co-op and buy some used poles from them. My plan is to put 4 poles in the ground this year, and attach steel threaded "eyes" towards the top of the pole, then hang hop-yarn from the eyes to metal stakes in the ground just behind my rhizomes, This will give a TP effect without having to "build" much of a system. In the fall I can climb an extension ladder and snip the yarn at the eye.

I'm thinking about putting in 3-4 poles, one for each variety. I figure I can put at least 8 plants on a single pole. So I'll start with cents,wills, amarillo and another to be determinted and maybe go with 4 of each, and possibly expand to 8 on each pole next season.

So I'll start with cents,wills, amarillo and another to be determinted and maybe go with 4 of each, and possibly expand to 8 on each pole next season.

Please let me know where you're getting your Amarillo rhizomes!:p I'd love to put some in yard!

Huh, I saw them listed on fresh hops.com and thought they were available, but then I realized they are on the "variety page" with descriptions not actually to buy. Then I noticed the cute little registered trademark symbol.....foiled again!

Amarillo and Columbus are private varieties which are impossible to get. I saw someone on a craigslist said they had them for sale but I looked into it and it was a wild hop they said was amarillo which is funny since amarillo was never a wild hop. I have chinook rhizomes in my store for 5dollars a piece with free shipping.

Back