Boulder "Shake" Chocolate Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you know that Oasis is back making beer again? Prost, down in Denver, lets them brew periodically on their equipment and you can now get a few of their old beers (Scarab Red, Nut Brown, etc) in bottles at a few different locations around town. Pretty nostalgic for me, I spent quite a bit of time at their old brewery when I went to college in Boulder in the mid 90s.

So we lived in Boulder and were in college there at the same time

This is what im trying. its definetely 40ish ibu, you can taste it behind the chocolate. I question the caramel, chocolate and black malt quantities, but I got to start somewhere.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Shake
Author: many

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 73% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.017
ABV (standard): 5.78%
IBU (tinseth): 40.32
SRM (morey): 34.73

FERMENTABLES:
8.7 lb - American - Pale Ale (76.7%)
1.2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (10.6%)
0.4 lb - American - Chocolate (3.5%)
0.3 lb - German - Chocolate Wheat (2.6%)
0.5 lb - Lactose (Milk Sugar) (4.4%)
0.25 lb - American - Black Malt (2.2%)

HOPS:
0.65 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.9, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 35.76
0.4 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 4.56

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.4 qt
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
6 oz - cacao nibs, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 63 F
Pitch Rate: 1.25 (M cells / ml / deg P)
Additional Yeast: wyeast 1056

NOTES:
Brew Date 1/11/16

This recipe has been published online at:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/313138/shake

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2016-01-12 02:15 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2016-01-12 02:11 UTC

Seems a bit high on both the chocolate wheat and the black malt but still worth a shot. Let us know how it turns out.

Seems a bit high on both the chocolate wheat and the black malt but still worth a shot. Let us know how it turns out.

Your right. After looking at it, I was way high on the dark malts. I think the edited version above will be closer. This is off and running, I hope to report back in 6 weeks. Sounds like toasting the cacao nibs will be necessary.

This is what im trying. its definetely 40ish ibu, you can taste it behind the chocolate. I question the caramel, chocolate and black malt quantities, but I got to start somewhere.

HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Shake
Author: many

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Robust Porter
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5 gallons (fermentor volume)
Boil Size: 6 gallons
Boil Gravity: 1.051
Efficiency: 73% (brew house)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.061
Final Gravity: 1.016
ABV (standard): 5.93%
IBU (tinseth): 40.32
SRM (morey): 34.73

FERMENTABLES:
8.7 lb - American - Pale Ale (76.7%)
1.2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 60L (10.6%)
0.4 lb - American - Chocolate (3.5%)
0.3 lb - German - Chocolate Wheat (2.6%)
0.5 lb - Lactose (Milk Sugar) (4.4%)
0.25 lb - American - Black Malt (2.2%)

HOPS:
0.65 oz - Nugget, Type: Pellet, AA: 15.9, Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 35.76
0.4 oz - Tettnanger, Type: Pellet, AA: 5, Use: Boil for 20 min, IBU: 4.56

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.4 qt
Starting Mash Thickness: 1.5 qt/lb

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
6 oz - cacao nibs, Type: Spice, Use: Secondary

YEAST:
Wyeast - American Ale 1056
Starter: No
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (custom): 75%
Flocculation: Med-Low
Optimum Temp: 60 - 72 F
Fermentation Temp: 63 F
Pitch Rate: 1.25 (M cells / ml / deg P)
Additional Yeast: wyeast 1056

NOTES:
Brew Date 1/11/16

This recipe has been published online at:
http://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/view/313138/shake

Generated by Brewer's Friend - http://www.brewersfriend.com/
Date: 2016-01-12 02:15 UTC
Recipe Last Updated: 2016-01-12 02:11 UTC

Just tasted this at 2 weeks in Primary, and Im pretty pumped. Its tasting excellent, and I nailed the ABV. Now im just a little nervous as to how much cacao nibs to add. Im thinking 6oz toasted, for a few weeks. Any advice there would be appreciated.

6 oz is probably good, I'd caution against toasting too hot or too long.

After making 4 batches of my extract brew for this beer with different amounts of lactose and caocao nibs (great beer by the way), it still doesn't have the same milk chocolcate sweetness as the actual Boulder. Talking with my local home brew club, several people think that there is a chocolate extract being added by Boulder.

So my next batch I'm going to add some chocolate extract to a glass until the sweetness of the chocolate flavor improves and then extrapolate for the keg.

After making 4 batches of my extract brew for this beer with different amounts of lactose and caocao nibs (great beer by the way), it still doesn't have the same milk chocolcate sweetness as the actual Boulder. Talking with my local home brew club, several people think that there is a chocolate extract being added by Boulder.

So my next batch I'm going to add some chocolate extract to a glass until the sweetness of the chocolate flavor improves and then extrapolate for the keg.

I think your right. I added my cacao nibs today and it doesn't smell even close to what their beer smells like. I emailed boulder beer last week and this is what they said, but i don't believe them...

Thanks for reaching out to us, and we’re so glad you enjoy our Shake Chocolate Porter! We do use cacao nibs for that dark chocolate flavor and lactose (milk sugar) for a rich mouthfeel. No nuts, so don’t worry if you have any nut allergies! There’s also a wide array of malted grains in Shake, including chocolate malt and chocolate wheat.

Thanks so much! If you get to the Boulder area, please come on by for a brewery tour and tasting in our Pub!

Cheers,

Ive had this on 5oz of cacao nibs for a few weeks now and it tastes spot on, but lacks that chocolate milk aroma that the original shake porter has. I think im gonna try chocolate flavoring for the aroma. Like castillo said, shake must have a flavoring in there. Anybody used a chocolate extract they can recommend?

Anybody used a chocolate extract they can recommend?

k2-_6ad81d19-aa6d-4460-8a28-f4df3f4e49f5.v1.jpg

(kidding...)

Definitely curious to hear the outcome here. I make a chocolate coconut porter. I went with 8oz of nibs and .5 lb of lactose on my last one. Got big time flavor, and big time mouthfeel.

The thing I notice with Boulder Shake is the carbonation from the lactose (it's pretty "lasting" and doesn't go away quickly after you drink it). I'm wondering actually if they even use more than .5lb lactose. It's a bomb of sweetness for sure, which you could get from the lactose. More lactose maybe evens out the bitterness from the chocolate?

I may have to conduct some 1 gallon experiments of this myself.

(kidding...)

The thing I notice with Boulder Shake is the carbonation from the lactose (it's pretty "lasting" and doesn't go away quickly after you drink it). I'm wondering actually if they even use more than .5lb lactose. It's a bomb of sweetness for sure, which you could get from the lactose. More lactose maybe evens out the bitterness from the chocolate?

Lactose doesn't produce carbonation. Did you mean nitrogen? Boulder Shake is often served on nitro.

k2-_6ad81d19-aa6d-4460-8a28-f4df3f4e49f5.v1.jpg

(kidding...)

Definitely curious to hear the outcome here. I make a chocolate coconut porter. I went with 8oz of nibs and .5 lb of lactose on my last one. Got big time flavor, and big time mouthfeel.

I swear this beer smells like nesquick, i know your kidding, but that's the nose i get off it. Would you say 8oz got you that nesquick type aroma?

There is no way their not using Nestle quick in this beer. 2 weeks now on 5 oz cacao nibs and this tastes identical to their version, minus the aroma. Even at 5oz of nibs I only get a slight cacao chocolate nose to it. I'm thinking of doing something stupid. I think im going to add 2oz of Nestles chocolate syrup at kegging. In looking at the ingredients, I don't see anything crazy that would screw up my final product post fermentation.

Ingredients: SUGAR, WATER, COCOA PROCESSED WITH ALKALI, LESS THAN 2% OF SALT, CITRIC ACID, ARTIFICIAL FLAVOR, POTASSIUM SORBATE (PRESERVATIVE), XANTHAN GUM, CARAMEL COLOR, RED 40, BLUE 1, YELLOW 6.

I feel like 2oz will be just enough to get the aroma. This beer is driving me crazy : ). There is a reason they call it "Shake." Its not because they use nibs. They must use enough nibs for the bittering aspect of chocolate, but thats it. When you make a chocolate shake, you add chocolate syrup to ice cream, so that's why I think they add syrup to this beer.

I really, really doubt they use Nestle products making the beer. Potassium sorbate can screw up yeast, if there's enough of it present. I would just stick to the ingredients they list on their site. There are beers out there like Brooklyn Black Chocolate stout that have an amazing chocolate aroma with no spices or additives at all-it just comes from the malt.

What about Nielsen-Massey chocolate extract? I'm planning on using that stuff in an andes mint stout after researching around on chocolate extracts / flavorings.

We'll see. I just keged this and added 2oz of the Nestle Syrup. Smells identical to the original as the keg was filling up. They probably dont use Nestle product, but there is a flavoring, there must be. Technically, I dont think they have to list anything they use do they? Otherwise, You'd have to go at least 8oz of nibs, and maybe toast them longer til you get that aroma. We'll see how this tastes in 4 days. I figure my gravity is probably around 1.014 or so with the sugar addition.

I'll have to try this. The last time I used cacao nibs, the stout I made tasted very woody.

I did them in the secondary, and I will also add a habanero pepper to the secondary.

I'm brewing my 4th batch attempt. I'm going to be adding chocolate extract at kegging time in about 2 weeks.

Be careful with the nesquick. The potassium sorbate could affect your fermentation.

It's odd but I just threw the nesquick out there as a joke really but I guess it could be in there.

Today I was thinking the "shake" in the name definitely seems to allude to some type of ingredient you'd normally put into a shake.

Be careful with the nesquick. The potassium sorbate could affect your fermentation.

It's odd but I just threw the nesquick out there as a joke really but I guess it could be in there.

Today I was thinking the "shake" in the name definitely seems to allude to some type of ingredient you'd normally put into a shake.

Yeah would definitely be an issue for someone trying to bottle with this syrup. I did it at kegging, so im not worried about any more fermentation. I'll be curious to see the results of those that will use the chocolate extracts. I will say, when I smelled the nesquick today in a beer sample, I thought I had nailed their flavoring. We'll see.

I can't believe this thread has devolved into speculating about nesquik being in the beer. The brew masters would be rofling if they read this.
Has artificial flavor ever been used in beer? Yes. Is it in this beer and even more, is it prevalent and specifically a commercially available gross tasting prefab chocolate drink mix marketed to kids?

I can't believe this thread has devolved into speculating about nesquik being in the beer. The brew masters would be rofling if they read this.
Has artificial flavor ever been used in beer? Yes. Is it in this beer and even more, is it prevalent and specifically a commercially available gross tasting prefab chocolate drink mix marketed to kids?

Someone was using cereal in their mash. Cant remember the brewery, but its crazy times in the beer industry these days. Artificial flavoring is used in beer a lot of the time, or most of the time I feel. Whatever the flavoring is, its damn close to Nesquick, But probably not Nesquick. Be funny if the brew masters were reading this and saying "damn, they got it."

Tasting this now. It tastes and smells exactly like Boulder Shake. Without doing a side by side taste test, Im not sure of the exact differences, if any. However, the nesquick syrup clouded up my beer a bit, so it has a brown hue now, vs when it was in the carboy it was an obvious dark color (34 SRM). So my conclusion; They use a flavoring very similar to nesquick, and probably use very little cacao nibs (2-4 oz per 5 gallons). I think the base recipe is on the money though. I plan to just clear this up with gelatin, and hopefully the flavor remains. Hopefully someone can find a similiar flavoring to really nail down this clone.

Tasting this now. It tastes and smells exactly like Boulder Shake. Without doing a side by side taste test, Im not sure of the exact differences, if any. However, the nesquick syrup clouded up my beer a bit, so it has a brown hue now, vs when it was in the carboy it was an obvious dark color (34 SRM). So my conclusion; They use a flavoring very similar to nesquick, and probably use very little cacao nibs (2-4 oz per 5 gallons). I think the base recipe is on the money though. I plan to just clear this up with gelatin, and hopefully the flavor remains. Hopefully someone can find a similiar flavoring to really nail down this clone.

that's really sad if this is their true ingredient

that's really sad if this is their true ingredient

Im with you. Like I said previously, their is a beer company that went to a grocery store and bought hundreds of boxes of a chocolate cereal to put in their mash. I cant remember who it was. That said, beer companies are doing crazy ish these days to get flavors that draw people in. Hopefully someone can find this Nesquick like flavoring. Otherwise, ill keep using it, its F'ing delicious in a porter.

I would also like to add that my head retention is excellent.

So I brewed this and have now had it kegged and serving on nitro for 2 weeks - I don't have a side by side to compare it Boulder Shake but it is very close to what I remembered it - and after to serving it to a few friends, people are digging it! I only had a couple pints of the original Boulder Shake at a local bar and it was served on Nitro so this is exactly what I was looking for - don't think I'd change a thing when I brew it again. I know I at least got most of this from this thread - some things may of changed but this is what i brewed:

OG 1.073
FG 1.02
abv 7.0%
34 IBU's

batch 5.5gal

11lbs 2-row
1.5lbs marris otter (i did not have 12# of 2-row so i just added this maris for what i didn't have)
1.5lbs british crystal 50-60 (i did not have 1.5lbs of 50-60 so I added 14oz of 50/60 and then also added 13oz brit cry 120)
1lb chocolate wheat malt
8oz chocolate malt
4oz black patent
1lb lactose
.8oz nugget at 60min
.5oz tettnang at 20min
WLP001 with starter

after fermentation was complete (close to 2 weeks) -I added 8oz of cacao nibs to secondary and let sit for 2 weeks (the nibs were soaked in vodka overnight before adding)

carb to about just less 2 vols and then served on nitro

Final product. Very happy with this beer.

The legwork on this beer has been amazing! Well done to all!

Is the *final* version of your recipe what's on the prior pages? Or did you tweak it slightly with the nestle syrup (that is what you used, correct?).

Do you mind reposting the final version, please (assuming it changed)? :)

I really like this beer. I have not tried this yet but the owner of my Lhbs said he is pretty sure they use a chocolate cream extract. He showed me a bottle of it. One of these days I will try it out.

I really like this beer. I have not tried this yet but the owner of my Lhbs said he is pretty sure they use a chocolate cream extract. He showed me a bottle of it. One of these days I will try it out.

Like, THIS kind of extract?

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back