Making my own oak cubes.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am pretty handy with wood working and after cutting a few planks of oak from a fallen tree, I was wondering if I could use some of the small pieces to toast and oak my own wines? Any one ever do this?

You have to be sure on what kind of oak tree it is. Many (even most) varieties of oak are not suited for use in wine. It will taste disgusting.

Evidently even the time of year the wood is harvested is very important for the right balance of tannins etc.

true that and if you do use some of it, i would toast it or char it before adding.

If you were to do that, Make sure your tree isn't diseased. If it has been down for quite a while I would pass on by that idea. Other than that if it is a white oak tree, Have at it!!!

I am also looking into this idea. I understand that in my area (Pacific Northwest) there are two major types of oak. Red oak, more common and not suitable, and white oak which is suitable.

Is the consensus that they must first be dehydrated and then toasted if desired? Anyone know if dehydrated, untoasted oak would work? Anyone have any experiences to share with homemade oak chips yet?

Latest posts

Back