King Kooker double burner?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HickoryMike

Reaction score
I have been doing 5g batches on my SP-10 with a 48qt cooler mash tun, but now it's time to upgrade. A friend of mine has found a hookup for cheap kegs and I am planning to move quickly into a 3 vessel system with all 3 vessels being on heat.

I know a couple welders (friend of a friend type thing) that could possibly fabricate a custom stand but I would also consider buying something off the shelf.

Ok, getting to the point...what do you think about using either

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/produ...arentCategoryId=793&reload=363#MyReviewHeader

or

http://www.meijer.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=140949&cmpid=goobase&CAWELAID=418090694

I would also use my current SP-10 in combination with one of these double burners and purchase a march pump to move liquid.

Are these king kooker setups crap, too small, or not worth the money? Should I simply start working on a single tier design and beg for cheap welding labor? Cost definitely needs to stay under control, but I also don't want to invest in something that I'll want to replace in 6 months.

Thanks.

I use a Bayou Classic double burner with folding side shelves...dual 60k burners, works great and is $109 on Amazon.

I use a Bayou Classic double burner with folding side shelves...dual 60k burners, works great and is $109 on Amazon.

I saw this one but I questioned that it could withstand the weight of 10g batches. Also, it appears that those burners would certainly need a windscreen of some kind to be added.

Any additional feedback would be awesome.

I do five gallon batches, have had as much as 9 gallons in my 50 qt kettle at once and it was rock solid. I know you wouldn't think so given the construction, but it did does just fine...leading me to believe most people are over doing it with the size of tube steel they use for their Brutus clones. It is rated to be able to handle two 60qt kettles and it doesn't give me reason to believe otherwise, so long as you are reasonable and don't expect it to stand up to someone falling into it like a Brutus can easily do.

A windscreen might be useful, I brew in my garage so wind is rarely a concern, but I do notice it when a breeze comes into the garage. There is some protection, but I would add some aluminum if I was brewing on my back patio.

When I get around to getting my 60qt kettle put together and online I will be able to give you an idea of how it handles a 10 gallon batch, but, I that will probably be a while.

I do five gallon batches, have had as much as 9 gallons in my 50 qt kettle at once and it was rock solid. I know you wouldn't think so given the construction, but it did does just fine...leading me to believe most people are over doing it with the size of tube steel they use for their Brutus clones. It is rated to be able to handle two 60qt kettles and it doesn't give me reason to believe otherwise, so long as you are reasonable and don't expect it to stand up to someone falling into it like a Brutus can easily do.

A windscreen might be useful, I brew in my garage so wind is rarely a concern, but I do notice it when a breeze comes into the garage. There is some protection, but I would add some aluminum if I was brewing on my back patio.

When I get around to getting my 60qt kettle put together and online I will be able to give you an idea of how it handles a 10 gallon batch, but, I that will probably be a while.

Awesome feedback. I may just go ahead and buy this stand, a march pump, and add some quick disconnects to my kegs/hoses. Even if I grow tired of this rack I could harvest the two burners off it in the future when I build my dream stand.

Thanks

That's exactly what I'm planning on doing when I get around to buying a MIG. Probably add a piloted jet burner for the Asco valve I have had sitting around for a year too.

Back