Better method of trub removal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlowingApple

Reaction score
I've been more careful about leaving trub behind with my last couple brews. After wort chilling I whirlpool, then wait 15 minutes to let it settle. A lot of the trub moves to the center, but it never really forms a compacted cone. Even carefully racking at the side of the kettle seems to stir up a lot of the trub and bring it into the fermentor.

Has anyone tried tying a sanitized hop bag, or small grain bag, over the end of their siphon to try to strain out more of the trub?

Don't worry about it. Read this, it explains what kettle trub does and doesn't do.

http://brulosophy.com/2014/06/02/the-great-trub-exbeeriment-results-are-in/

I used to use a mesh strainer that I would sanitize then place over the bucket which worked great. Then I read the study posted above and heard a podcast on Basic Brewing and stopped straining. I haven't noticed any difference, I don't cold crash, and I've produced some very clear beers. I say skip the straining from my own personal experience. Not worth the extra steps or hassle.

I cold crash all my beers. Should I just rack the whole works then? I'd rather not waste any beer if I can help it, so if the trub really isn't an issue, I should be able to just rack everything into the fermentor then?

Latest posts

Back