Temp for WLP300?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

winvarin

Reaction score
Going to use this yeast this weekend. I've read that with wheat yeasts, if you ferment at the low end of the yeast's range, you will subdue the fruity esters and enhance the clove phenols.

I'm thinking about fermenting this one at 65F, a touch below the recommended range of 68-72F. Does anyone have experience with this yeast they can share?

Specifically if you have any temperature recommendations

I did a batch of dunkelweizen with the strain that just carbed up this week. I fermented around 63F. I was going for clovey, but it was probably a little too extreme in hindsight. 65 would have been better, but I'd say don't go any lower.

My refrigeration facilities are not cooperating. Typical Oklahoma spring. Highs in the 80s and lows in the 70s this week. Highs in the 50s and lows in the upper 30s next week. My fermenting fridge is in the garage. This means that it will be too cold to ferment out there.

Plan B is an upstairs tub that I can reliably get and keep at around 68-70F. Looks like that's where we'll be.

I did heff last weekend and pitched Sunday with WL-300 bubbling nicely @65f,, I will raise it to 70f tomorrow

ps i did need a blow off tube

I am hoping I can skip the blow off. I have a recipe that I am going to split into 2, 2.5 gallon batches so I can compare the WLP300 to the WLP320. I tried this recipe with the 320 a few months ago and it went over very well. I wanted to do a side by side comparison with the two so I will be splitting the 5.25 gallon batch into two 5-gallon carboys. That should give me plenty of space for the krausen.

I did have to use a blow off when I used the 320. I lost quite a bit to blow off in the first couple of days.

Back