Pumpkin Ale - Ideal Conditioning Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ihearthops

Reaction score
So I brewed an AG Pumpkin Ale on 08/04 using a variation of Yuri_Rage's Thunderstruck recipe (breakdown below) and have a few questions regarding conditioning time.

I kegged the batch (5gal) on 8/26, the sample I drew for final gravity reading tasted not only very green, but didn't have any noticeable pumpkin flavor (It had a very strong pumpkin flavor/aroma when I pitched the yeast). The keg is currently conditioning at room temperature, and I plan on moving it to the kegerator for carbing the first week in October.

So, on to my questions..

1) Is it normal for a pumpkin ale to lack pumpkin flavor after fermentation at bottling/kegging time? Does this flavor return after its been properly conditioned?

2) How long do most of you condition pumpkin ales? Is my target drink date of the second week in October too soon?

Recipe:

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: S-04
Yeast Starter: no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: none
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.053
Final Gravity: 1.012
IBU: 24.9
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 15.5
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 22 days @ 66

Mashed at 154 for 60 minutes -- added 60oz. Libby's pumpkin to mash.

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
1.00 lb Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 8.00 %
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.00 %
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 16.00 %
1.00 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 8.00 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM) Grain 4.00 %
1.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 24.9 IBU
0.50 tsp cinamon (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
0.50 tsp pumpkin pie spice (Boil 5.0 min) Misc
60.00 oz pumpkin - canned (Mash 60.0 min) Misc
1 Pkgs SafAle English Ale (DCL Yeast #S-04) Yeast-Ale

Thanks in advance to any insight anyone can provide -- i'm really hoping I don't end up with a crappy pumpkin ale after putting 2 months worth of work/waiting into it.

:mug:

Most of the pumpkin flavor comes from the spices, I see you used .5 tsp of cinnamon and pumpkin pie spice. From the recipes I have seen about 1 to 3 tsp of each spice are used, depending on the spice. If you can't taste any of it, you could try steeping some pumpkin pie spice, maybe 1 or 1 1/2 tsp in about a cup of water for about 10 minutes and then add to a secondary.

I added about 5 tsps total of cinnamon, nutmeg, and clove to my pumpkin ale during the boil, took a sample the other day and could really taste it. So you could give the steeping option a try.

I'm going to bottle condition my pumpkin ale (8% alcohol) for about 5 weeks, though the only reason I'm doing that is so my buddies and I can crack them open on Halloween.

I had the same problem but i used an extract kit. I baked two cans libbys 30 oz in the oven at 350 for 25 minutes. I used a hybrid of the extract version of the recipe you used and the kit off of midwest supplies.

1/2 lb crystal 60
1/2 lb crystal 20
6 lb midwest gold
4 oz brown sugar
1 oz mt hood 60 min
1 oz cascade 10 min
.5 tsp cinnamon (10 min)
.25 tsp clove (10 min
.25 tsp allspice (10 min)

All spices were added to boil for last ten min. I filtered out all my pumpkin sludge prior to going to fermenter. I left it in primary for a week and tasted a little before racking. I was VERY disappointed at the lack of pumpkin flavor/spice. I did not really want to have a strong spice flavor and was afraid of over spicing but I now believe I either under spiced or filtering out all the sludge took some of the flavor away. I put a bit of McCormick pumpkin spice in the secondary last night when i racked but add a bit more pumpkin spice or cinnamon allspice clove nutmeg combo tonight and let it sit in the secondary for a few weeks.

If I am going to add more spice should I add them directly OR should I steep the spices then dump that water to keep the solids out of my secondary? If added directly will i be able to get them out when I switch from carboy to bottling bucket?

Back