Tools for documenting brew sessions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gannawdm

Reaction score
How do you document your brew sessions? I've seen the spreadsheets floating around. I've heard of brew books. Right now, I'm just using a Google Docs spreadsheet with VERY basic stuff (brew date, bottle date, OG, FG, recipe, misc notes on the brewing process). Are there any websites for keeping track of brew sessions?

Wifey got me Basic Brewing Radio's Brewer's Logbook. It's pretty good, calendar pages in the front, and two pages for each brew session. Space for pretty much everything you need, I'd add target and actual to a few of the places so I can keep track of when I hit numbers and volumes, etc. It is gbc bound so it opens nice and flat too.

I just write everything down in a template that I've adapted to fit my brew sessions. I think most of the stuff that I just write almost everything down then transfer it after the fact to a google doc electronic version to save and catalog.

I use Beersmith and it works for me. You can log all those things you listed and more. The calendar function helps me stay organized when I've got several brews going at once.

I also use beersmith. On brew day I copy my recipe to the brew log and change the recipe, gravities, etc. as appropriate, and then use the notes section for anything not covered in the other fields.

Then when I have finished that brew, I switch to "Normal" view and cut & paste the entire thing into an event in my google calendar for that day.

Print out the beersmith recipe and then take notes on it (and extra pages as necessary). I keep this around along with my own (or anyone else's, eg a competition judge's) tasting notes and pull them out the next time I brew the same style.

I don't have electronic copies of anything, except the beersmith recipes.

Personal wiki with Brew Pal html code embedded. It is great when you are at the brew store, or at work. Its easy to set up and maintain.

Back