Temperature

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cattleridge

Reaction score
Hi Guys/Gals,

I have my second ever batch ready for bottling, unfortunately we are going through a cold snap and I am worried about the temperature for priming/carbonation. The warmest room in the house at the moment is only 17 degrees (old cold house). So for my plans for bottling and leaving them in the kitchen for a week or so has gone out the window as its only 15 degrees in there!! I have an old chest freezer which is empty at the moment and was thinking of using that and putting a hot water bottle in there every couple of days to keep it warm, and putting my bottles in there, in theory seems a good idea as I will check it once a day and can always add another hot water bottle if needed or remove them altogether if the temperature does get better. Obviously I will leave the freezer off and will keep the hot water bottle and beer not touching but just wanted to know if anyone does anything similar or if there are any flaws to my cunning plan?

Thanks Conroe, I did think of that and reading other threads saw others do this (mainly for primary) my concerns with the light is - will the light affect the beer?, and secondly I would have to leave the freezer open so I was worried I might lose too much heat. Althou this I guess would be an easier option.

Buggar, cunning plan not so cunning!! the hot water bottle did not maintain and hot enough heat, I have now put a light in there with a 40 watt bulb, unfortunately don't have a thermostat, but I do have a thermometer so I have been checking and turning the light on and off as needed. I am going to get a aquarium heater next time I am in town to save the frequent checking :)

Back