Mead and apples???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What are you looking for? Sweet, dry? Somewhere in the middle? Caramel flavoring? Cider like?

I currently have a caramel apple mead sitting in secondary. The prelim batches came out so well that I made a second batch. Because I figured in a year, when it is finally ready to drink, it's going to be flying off the shelves (so to speak). The recipe included some grains that would normally be used for beer, which struck me as odd, but I can see them giving a caramel flavor to a mead.

I believe the proper term is "cyster" as an FYI.

I made a mead a few years ago that I put cut up apples in it, along with some cinnamon. I don't recall how many pounds of apples (don't have the recipe in front of me), but I'd guess I put about 10# in. It turned out great, kinda like apple pie, but better! I use frozen concentrate in beer, so you could use the same in mead. Go with about 3-4 12 oz containers/5 gallons of mead.

It's called cyser. 2 or 3lbs honey/gallon, apple juice to fill (1 gal, 5 gal, 6 gal, etc...) Yeast nutrient/energizer, D.A.P. (diammonium phosphate), follow the directions on the pkg(s). Your choice of yeast (D-47, 71-B, etc...) Then just wait.

The higher quality ingredients, the higher quality you end product. Check the temp range of the yeast you use & try to keep it no higher than mid-range for a clean fermentation.
Regards, GF.

Back