Opinions... rubber washers in contact w/hot wort...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck_Swillery

Reaction score
I'm putting together a 5 gallon MLT out of a Rubbercooler and just couldn't get a good seal with the gaskets that came with it. So I ran up to the hardware store and picked up some rubber washers that will work great. However, now I'm considering how this might leach stuff (chemicals and off flavors) into the wort. Thoughts?

I'm putting together a 5 gallon MLT out of a Rubbercooler and just couldn't get a good seal with the gaskets that came with it. So I ran up to the hardware store and picked up some rubber washers that will work great. However, now I'm considering how this might leach stuff (chemicals and off flavors) into the wort. Thoughts?

I haven't had any experience with what ou say as I got myMLT cooler setup, but haven't AG my first batc yet.

However, multiple instructions I have seen online for DIY MLT out of a cooler have rubber washers in the parts list, so I have to assume it is ok!:fro:

Wow - quick response. LOL Yeah, I probably should have searched it out first. I'll see how the cards fall and search it out also. They didn't have the right size in the plumbing department so we got them out of the hardware section. It didn't even occur to me... None the less, it works like a champ in the sense it doesn't leak. Haven't given it a hot water test yet, that is this evening. I'll check for flavors then.

Rubber_washers.JPG
Rubber_washers_2.JPG

Rubber_Washers_4.JPG
Rubber_washers_3.JPG

I would ask the hardware store what kind of rubber they are, and if they are food grade or FDA food contact compliant. They most likely won't have a clue, but they can ask their supplier the questions, or better yet give you the contact information for the supplier so you can ask.

Chances are the washers are nitrile rubber, also called BUNA N rubber. Chances are they aren't food grade, but you never know. Sometimes the maker of the washer makes everything food safe just to make life simpler for manufacturing - not having to keep track of what is food safe and what isn't in their plant and in their inventory.

I make washers from my grandsons old bottle nipples 100% silicone . You can also use the silicone cookie sheets to make them .. Word of advise though its best to buy your own SWMBO gets a little moody when she pulls out the sheet and there are holes in it.

Had to get the same ones from home depot. They didn't have anything but 1/2 x 2" neoprene washers. Everything else was 3/8s or 3/4s. Naturally they didn't have any washers other than metric and smaller sizes.

They will probably be Neoprene or Buna N both are fine.
On the off chance that you got real rubber go back and buy the rest.

I'd at LEAST trim the excess that is sticking out past the metal washer. It's doing no extra good and just exposing more rubber. Also, the rubber washer on the outside is a bad idea. If you're having leaks on the inside wall, you could end up soaking the insulation with wort and that will get nasty. You won't know if the outside seal is keep you from seeing the leak.

I'd at LEAST trim the excess that is sticking out past the metal washer. It's doing no extra good and just exposing more rubber. Also, the rubber washer on the outside is a bad idea. If you're having leaks on the inside wall, you could end up soaking the insulation with wort and that will get nasty. You won't know if the outside seal is keep you from seeing the leak.

Good points...

I know this post is a few years old, but I have decided to change my neoprene washer to the inside of my MLT as per your advice and multiple others on this forum. Thanks for the insight...

Latest posts

Back