What was i thinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I'm just now in the middle of my first ever cereal mash for my first ever farmhouse ale. It's 10:20pm and I still have to finish this, run my regular mash, lauter/sparge, and then brew. Oh...and then clean up.

I may not go to bed until after 2am! Too late to turn back now though...

Lesson learned. Always plan for at least six hours to do a brew from set up to clean up. I have gotten mine down to about 4-5 hours when I have a brew buddy with me.

MetallHed said:
Lesson learned. Always plan for at least six hours to do a brew from set up to clean up. I have gotten mine down to about 4-5 hours when I have a brew buddy with me.

I generally plan for 5 hours. I knew what I was getting myself into for the most part, but it took me a while longer than expected to get ready for the cereal mash and to run the cereal mash itself. Besides, it's now or who knows when...

kh54s10 said:
Sure hope you don't have to get up at 4am to get to work tomorrow!

Nope. 6:30.

Damnit...when I added the cereal mash to my regular mash, I WAY overshot the sacch rest temp. I hit 175°F! Luckily I was able to quickly add some cool water to the mash to get it down to 150ish. :eek:

I've done a few all nighters too. My neighbors didn't appreciate all the water hose cleaning and pot scrubbing at 3AM! Plus it's a PITA when your brew day starts warm enough for shorts, but you end up wearing cold weather gear by the end.

Back