Is it ready? The 8 month old lambic question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davidcaz

Reaction score
Hi. Yesterday I drew a sample from the Lambic styled beer I've got in the basement. It is quite sour. I wouldn't say it is has a lot of vinegar flavour though. I pitched it with a not very attenuating Saccharomyces yeast, Wyeast Lambic Blend, and some dregs from a Gueuze and an American Lambic Style beer. Anyway it doent have the complexity of a true lambic but it does have a strong citric sourness. I am considering adding cherries and kegging it in a couple of monthes mostly because I dont want it getting any more sour. Good idea? or, will it improve with age? Any other fruit suggestions? Thanks!

Adding fruit and allowing further fermentation will make it more acidic (the fruit adds acids of its own, plus simple sugars the bacteria will turn into more lactic acid). If the gravity is stable, it may not get any more acidic now. In time the Brett will produce more interesting character. It is your call, but I like to leave some plain/bottled to watch the evolution!

Thanks! I brought a wort sample to the homebrew meeting last night. It tasted a little less sour when compared with others. Im going to go with cherries added to 2.5 gallons this June, and I'll age the rest for at least a year. Thanks again! I enjoy your blog.

Back