Flushing headspace in Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
I was wonder how everyone is flushing the head space in their carboys for bulk aging? I do have a kegging setup.

I assume your are talking about using a secondary for bulk aging and ideally you brew enough beer to fill the secondary vessel you will be using.

You can also do the following

1. Bulk age in primary, the headspace has already been flushed of o2 by fermentation. The autotalysis police will show up to comment on this but I have had beer sit on yeast for 6 months with no issue and I know there are others on this forum that have gone longer.

2. Use a keg for bulk aging, you already know how to flush that head space of co2

3. If you are going to use a secondary that you cant conpletely fill...

Turn off the gas at your regulator, unscrew the mfl from your gas disconnect
Sanitize the hose and put it into your secondary.
Turn the gas on for a short time
Then rack the beer in.

C02 is generally heavier than air and you should have a nice cushion of c02 when you are done racking.

Just use a nice low flow into the carboy. With a butane BBQ lighter, test that the flame extinguishes just inside the lip of the carboy....when it does, your headspace is flushed.

Related question: I transferred a barleywine into two 3 gallon carboys for bulk aging about 3 weeks ago and neglected to think about flushing the headspace. One of the carboys has 2 gallons and the other 2.5 gallons. How bad do you think this would be for the beer? Won't some CO2 be released from the transferring process?

Related question: I transferred a barleywine into two 3 gallon carboys for bulk aging about 3 weeks ago and neglected to think about flushing the headspace. One of the carboys has 2 gallons and the other 2.5 gallons. How bad do you think this would be for the beer? Won't some CO2 be released from the transferring process?

Are they in glass? If so, you can use one of those wine bottle preservation vacuum pumps (~ $10) and the appropriate size drilled stopper to pull a small vacuum and bring some CO2 out of solution...that should be good enough.

That is how I degass my wine prior to bottling.

Oh nice, I have one of those pumps so that is a great idea! But only one of them is in glass, the other is in a better bottle. I don't keg so I don't have any CO2 handy. I guess I could add a little bit of boiled sugar to have the yeast flush it like kingwood-kid said. I'm just worried about how much oxidation might have occured in the past 3 weeks. Has anybody had bad experiences due to not flushing headspace?

Back