First GF AG Recipe, Feedback Needed!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmitchell3

Reaction score
Hey there fellow GF brewers.

After vacillating a bit I've determined to do a much more simple recipe for my first GF AG batch: a trappist enkel (single) after the Westvleteren Blonde.

Here's the original barley-based clone recipe malt bill:

5.5 gal in the fermenter
1.052 OG
1.008 FG
5.3 SRM

Malt:

10 lb belgian pale malt (89%)
1 lb clear candi syrup (11%)

abbey ale yeast

Here's my first GF conversion recipe:

5.5 gal in fermenter
1.053 OG
1.008 FG
4.0 SRM

11 lb grouse pale millet malt (82%)
11 oz buckwheat malt (5%)
8 oz Eckert Biscuit Rice Malt (3.7%)
1 lb Golden Candi Syrup (7.4%)
4 oz Cane Sugar (2%)
(1lb additional rice hulls for lautering)

My equipment is a 5 gal electric blichmann breweasy system. It utilizes a RIMS type mash system. I propose to dough in and rest at 163F for 10 minutes, then reduce temp to 154F, add amylase enzyme and rest for 120 mins.

My concerns for the GF recipe are, besides the GF specific mash process:
1) Belgian Pale malt has a color of about 3.8 SRM, while pale white millet from grouse is about 1.5. Even using golden syrup instead of clear, the color isn't quite to the original 5.3 SRM estimate. Any ideas how to bump this up?
2) I decided to use biscuit malt to try and add a bit more "pale ale-y" malt profile to the millet base. Not sure this is appropriate to replicate belgian pale ale malt... I do have caramillet and light roast millet on hand, among others that could be added in small quantities to try and get this malt profile nailed down.
3) the added buckwheat is to contribute body and head retention to match with the original recipe, the cane sugar is to help dry out the beer and achieve a high degree of attenuation which is characteristic for the style.

Anybody have any thoughts as to the grain bill or mash process as proposed? Any way I could improve this to potentially get a better result? Again, no experience here, so just trying to nail this down the best I can in hopes I'll have something enjoyable at the end of the day! Thank you!

Your grain bill looks good.
You could add 1 or 2 oz of James brown rice malt to bump up the color if you want to hit a higher SRM...but it will be good with or without this change.

What amylase do you plan to use?

Please post your numbers when you brew this.
I am always curious about how others GF mash scheduals are working out.

BSG powdered amylase is what my lhbs had, so that's what I've got. May use 2x the dosage just in case. I'll let you know how it goes! Plan to brew this weekend or sometime next week.

Back