New to home brewing. Getting heavy yeast after taste. Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khass85

Reaction score
Hello. my dad recently got the stuff to brew at home. We've made two batches so far, they've been the malt syrup in the can that come with their own yeast. Both batches have had a bad yeast after taste. Both have been different brands. We've talked to the business that sells them and we're doing it right. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why they taste this way. I imagine it's from the cheap canned malt. We want to be able to know how ferment it right before we start cooking it. Any suggestions? Thanks.:mug:

How long have you been keeping it in the fermenter? The canned kits certainly won't help with the flavor but time is the biggest factor.

Welcome to HBT!

I can't recall. My dad had been taking care of that. I was told if it wasn't all the way fermented it would taste that way. We exceeded the time. It wasn't bubbling anymore. I don't think that this was the factor. Will it hurt anything if we leave it in the fermenter too long. We will probably try that next batch.

If it's tasting yeasty, my guess is that it wasn't in the fermenter long enough for all of the yeast to finish up and fall to the bottom so that you can rack (siphon) off of that yeast cake. I'd recommend trying it again, but leaving it in the original fermenter for at least two weeks this time, and using a "clean" neutral yeast like nottingham, or s-05. Those yeast strains tend to not taste very yeasty, if that makes sense!

Hello. my dad recently got the stuff to brew at home. We've made two batches so far, they've been the malt syrup in the can that come with their own yeast. Both batches have had a bad yeast after taste. Both have been different brands. We've talked to the business that sells them and we're doing it right. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why they taste this way. I imagine it's from the cheap canned malt. We want to be able to know how ferment it right before we start cooking it. Any suggestions? Thanks.:mug:

what do you mean by the can comes with its own yeast?

Also 3 weeks in bottle to allow the yeast to consume the priming suger and go back to sleep (fall out of suspension).

Just to be sure you know this- there is yeast sediment in the bottom of the bottles. Store the bottles upright for at least 30 min. before opening them, and pour slowly. Leave about a half inch in the bottle. If you watch carefully while you pour, you can see when the yeast starts to come out and stop pouring at that point.

A yeast package comes with the can. We have been waiting 2 weeks and there isn't any sediment at all in either of the batches. Would it be bad to leave it fermenting too long?

My first guess is that you didn't let it ferment long enough. My second is that it fermented too hot and you're getting off tastes because of "hot" alcohols that may taste yeasty. My third idea is that they are not fully carbed yet, you said no sediment??

Hows about this. Whats the Recipe's ingredients right down to the brand and type of yeast?

Noobie here, but I'm thinking if there is no yeast Cake at the bottom of the primary... it's still in suspension and working on the wort.

Some helpfull info would be a Brewing date or date put in Primary, then if you racked to 2ndary when was that (need to know time in Primary and 2ndary)
then if you bottled how long in the bottle?

I'm sure like the rest of us Noobies, you have read several of the 1-2-3 recomendations. I'm thinking that due to the lack of yeasites in your bottle something is amiss.

Is it carbonated?

Dang I've got more questions than you had... :p

not fully carbed would make sense. sorry i won't be able to be back on the forum for 2 weeks due to work. thanks for the ideas.

my first mr beer kit had no yeasties at the bottom of the bottle.Get a recipe and go to the LHBS for some fresh stuff:D

Latest posts

Back