Secondary 4 port regulator??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cable Guy

Reaction score
I've got 4 kegs that will have 4 diffrent types of beer in them. I've talked to a few guys at the brew shop that say they carbonate all their beers at the same psi level. What do you guys think???
I know I will have to have a primary regulator reguardless and either a 4 port coupler that is not regulated or one that regulates with adjustable pressures.

http://www.beveragefactory.com/draftbeer/regulator/secondary/3044.shtml

I was really just curious to see if you guys carbonate your beers diffrently or all the same.

Thanks for any feedback.

:mug:

I think the secondary regulator is a PITFA and is unnecessary unless you are a crazy beer connoisseur that has to have the exact level of carbonation for a particular beer style. I just like it when I pull this handle, bubbly beer pours out...

Why yes, I'm a S.N.O.B. (supporter of native Oregon beers) and I have secondary regulators.

I run 30 psi into my kegger, that goes directly to the soda water keg and to the secondaries. One secondary is at 12 psi and one at 3 psi, because there are brews I really don't want carbonated.

I'll put it this way, if you can find yourself a nice second hand secondary bank for the price almost the same as a manifold, snatch it. I paid like $40 shipped for a 3-reg secondary and it's one of things that are nice to have. Then again, you have to be prepared to maintain it too. Otherwise, I really think the brand new price for a 4-reg bank (~$150) makes it a little impractical. A compromise might be a two-reg primary where you can dial two different pressures. Now you can split those to two pairs of kegs or three on one pressure and the 4th on a different pressure.

Thanks gentlemen for all your feedback. I am going to look around and see if I can get a 4 port secondary a bit cheaper but in a couple of weeks if I haven't found anything I will probably bite the bullet and get the one off the above site. I may be a geek but I really like the idea of being able to controll the carbonation of each keg. What can I say, I LOVE BEER!!!!! :ban:

Tell me a bit more about checking for leaks. I know I need tephlon on the threads and a bit of water to check for bubbles. Is there anything I am missing??

Thats basically it. I would connect a hose and tap, crank the pressure up to like 50psi and either submerge (of you can), or hand bathe the fittings with soapy water. If you can see and or hear bubbles forming...time to either tighten more or take it apart and reapply the teflon.

A vise and a BIG crescent wrench/vise grips works well here.

Back