chunks in my primary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kfgolfer

Reaction score
Hi all,
have a stupid question. My beer is in active fermention in a glass carboy. There is a lot of junk at the bottom, which i think is ok. and the usual foam head. but I am seeing chunks of stuff floating around the middle? Is this normal? will this stuff get into my bottles? Is there something special I should do while bottling not to get it into the bottle?

Yeah, no worries. The yeast are very active, moving all over the place, and carrying bits of debris with them. Once things calm down in there, most of that will settle out. Racking to secondary after a week and then letting it sit another two weeks will help to clear out a lot of the remaining debris. By the time it gets to the bottles and conditions a few more weeks, it'll be great. :mug:

Is it really necessary to rack to secondary?? My LHBS says it's not really necessary. Just let it sit in primary for 2 weeks, then rack to bottling bucket..

any thoughts? I only have the one carboy anyway.

It's not necessary. In fact, I myself have never done it. My first three batches all went eleven days in single stage fermentation before bottling, and they all came out great.

The main thing is to give yourself at least a month between brewing and drinking, whether it's in primary, secondary, or bottles, with at least one week of that in bottles. And the beer just gets better with age. Mine are all much better than they were even a couple weeks ago.

Latest posts

Back