did you ever do something accidentally ...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmeyer46

Reaction score
and it worked?
well...this is my story.
On 10/02/11 I brewed a Rauch ale....
smaller 2.5 gallon batch, BIAB.
just a little over 7 pounds of grain.
Well, I mashed at around 150 give or take a few degrees for an hour.
The neighbor came over to visit...I was in the process of raising the temp to mashout...and sorta lost track of how high the temp got....oh yeah..not good.
When I finally got back to the pot, the temp was at 200 degrees! :eek:
OMG....i figured I just ruined my first attempt at a smoked beer.
Oh well hell, what do I have to lose now...so I finished in my normal fashion, chilled the wort to pitching temp and fermented at around 64 degrees for 21 days.
I was using the Wyeast German 1007, so I let it go a week longer than I usually do, from suggestions I've read.
I just did a primary fermentation, then bottled with corn sugar.
The OG on the beer was 1.053 and FG when I bottled was 1.012.
Initial tasting of hydrometer sample was good.
SO, anxious to try this "screwed up beer" I popped a bottle after 5 days...
beer had some carbonation, which kind of surprised me for such a short time in the bottle....and it was delicious...
no off flavors, no sharpness..nothing out of the ordinary?
SO how is it that I didn't extract any tannins from the high temps, and there was apparently enough sugars that survived the heat for my priming sugar to carb the bottles up?
Sometimes I gotta scratch my head and say WTH? :mug:

SO how is it that I didn't extract any tannins from the high temps, and there was apparently enough sugars that survived the heat for my priming sugar to carb the bottles up?
Sometimes I gotta scratch my head and say WTH? :mug:

Tannin extraction isn't just a matter of heat. It is usually associated with high heat and over sparging which raises the pH which is what pulls out the tannins.

As far as your sugar question, you boil the wort for an hour and the sugar survives fine, why would you think over shooting mashout would affect it?

Tannin extraction isn't just a matter of heat. It is usually associated with high heat and over sparging which raises the pH which is what pulls out the tannins.

As far as your sugar question, you boil the wort for an hour and the sugar survives fine, why would you think over shooting mashout would affect it?

good question...DUH! LOL

I guess I'm just amazed that it's actually drinkable, and good...200 degree mashout is pretty darn hot...especially when we've been told all along to mash out at 170.

I'm drinking a NGP that I boiled all the grain in (double decoction) here with my lunch. pH is the real enemy. It is possible that the pH was high if the water to grain ratio was real high. I wouldn't worry about it.

doing a BIAB, the water to grain ratio WAS high! LOL
The beer is really good already.
I wondered about the double decoction.
I guess I did a single decoction...quite by accident!

Back