Aging mead in beet bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bribo179

Reaction score
Will a beer bottle be ok to age a mead. I may age 2 years or more. I don't know if I should try to bottle in wine bottles and cork the stuff I am going to age that long.

Anyone have any thoughts?

read up on bottle aging.

the advantages of carboy aging is each bottle can age differently but whats bottled out of a carboy will be the same. carboy also gives you the option of racking it off anything that may drop out later down the track.

i've got a couple of meads that i bottled early and both settled out in the bottles months later. looks icky having sludge down the side of the bottle.

of course carboys are not cheap and its a real pain having to hold off brewing because the carboys are full.

I plan on aging in the carboy for 1.5 to 2 years. I just don't want to ruin all of that time spent by putting it in beer bottles instead of wine bottles. I'd like to use beer bottles for convenience done of don't have a corker. Some of these bottles will probably sit for a few years. I didn't know if a bottle cap would hold up that long.

thats fine. beer bottle with crown caps is a good way to store them. i use the 330ml beer bottles. nice size to use. wine bottles can be a pain as you need to drink the whole bottle once its opened.

Back