Youngs Double Chocolate Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ó Flannagáin

Reaction score
Probably my 2nd favorite beer of all time. And I've even never had it off a keg before (not sure if its served that way). So, I just recently learned that Chocolate Malt does not have any chocolate in it (Sorry, I'm new at this). Do you think they just use chocolate malt in this beer or do they get some actual bakers chocolate, cocoa pods or something and put it in the wort?

I believe that on the bottle it says that they use both chocolate malt as well as bakers chocolate.

Im not sure about the ratio. Ive used up to a half a pound of bakers chocolate before, but next time I will use cocoa powder. It is said to be better.

- magno

SO when you use bakers chocolate or cocoa powder do you just put that in your steeping back with your grains? Seems like the chocolate or cocoa is going to be completely dissolved anyway, so can you just leave it out of the bag?

I just did an AG version. You add the cocoa powder with 15 mins left in the boil. The recipe from BYO also called for chocolate extract added to secondary but I wasn't able to find any so I left it out.

2nd Street Brewery said:
I just did an AG version. You add the cocoa powder with 15 mins left in the boil. The recipe from BYO also called for chocolate extract added to secondary but I wasn't able to find any so I left it out.

And how did it turn out?

Yes, Young's Double Chocolate Stout uses both cocoa and chocolate malt; that's how it gets the name double chocolate. :cross:

When I brewed my porter the second time, I added the cocoa powder to the water before anything else, before I even put the steeping grains in, and let it boil for about 15-20mins. I think it helped to get the cocoa really dissolved and mixed well, and the small amont of fat in the powder floated to the top, and I was able to scoop almost all of it out before I continued with the brew.

The first time I made this recipe, I added the cocoa later and it never really mixed; the vast majority of it settled out in primary, and the rest settled out in the bottles. The second batch has a much stronger chocolate flavor. YMMV.

magno said:
I believe that on the bottle it says that they use both chocolate malt as well as bakers chocolate.

Im not sure about the ratio. Ive used up to a half a pound of bakers chocolate before, but next time I will use cocoa powder. It is said to be better.

Yes, way too much fat in the baker's chocolate. Cocoa powder has almost none.

Back