Pump and Fittings for Recirculating Ice Water through IC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
What pump do you use for recirculating ice water through your IC? I want something cheap, but all I could find in the 300 GPH range at the hardware store was way too pricey--around 90 bucks. (I seem to remember a thread about some good pumps to use but am having trouble finding it.)

On a side note, I use 1/2 ID silicone tubing from NB and a 3/8 IC with brass hose fittings. Anyone who has this setup and could recommend a pump that would require a minimum of fittings?

I bought a 320 GPH pond pump from a big box home store for $40. Works pretty well for my 50' chiller. Its output is 1/4" threads so adapting it to your chiller shouldn't be too hard.

I use a Shurflo 12v pump to recirculate ice water. It works pretty well. I am working on making is solar I run it with 4 Computer UPS batteries.

They make them in 120v too. It was not too pricey somewhere around $50 I think.

I paid about $13 at Harbor Freight for my IC pump. I don't know the GPH rating, but it's getting the job done in ~20 minutes if I use all ice in the tub.

Back