Who uses hop bags?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
Does using hop bags decrease hop utilization noticably?

I pretty much stopped using them awhile back.

I have been getting hoppier beers, but the problem is that other major factors changed at the same time that I stopped using the bags.

First I started doing full boils and shortly after that I started doing all grain batches.

I sometimes think, though, that I would like to use hop bags just so that my carboys would be easier to clean, and also to make it easier to siphon out my beer from primary to secondary and then to the keg.

With hops becoming scarcer and pricier lately, I want to get as much out of them as possible.

I've just been dumping the whole shootin' match into the carboy. My brew kettle doesn't have a spiggot, and if I would want to strain the wort when transferring to the carboy I'd have to have someone else hold a strainer. I suppose I could siphon the wort out of the kettle, but that would take a long time and would mean my cooled wort is exposed to potential infection for longer than need be.

Sparky, that's awesome. I need to build me one of those.

Also, I've just spent a half hour trying to figure out how to imbed images like you just did. I've got one upoaded to pbase, but I can't figure out how to get it in my post like that. Is there somewhere in the forum that explains it?

Just copy the image address and press this.
insertimage.gif

I put the strainer on top of the funnel- where it rests quite firmly. I'm not doing full boils though- and thats a lot of fluid to handle.

I am a weakling, so I siphon about 2 or so gallons first and then pick up the pot and dump the rest in the fermenter. I use plastic buckets and my sanitized spaghetti colander fits nicely over it. this also helps aerate it.

I never use hops bags- I just chuck them in. the only time it mattered at all was making the Pliny clone. that was alot of hops- 10 ounces or so? That left alot of stuff in the kettle. Otherwise, a couple of onces of hops strain out nicely with the colander/strainer method.

McCall St. Brewer said:
Does using hop bags decrease hop utilization noticably?

I pretty much stopped using them awhile back.

I have been getting hoppier beers, but the problem is that other major factors changed at the same time that I stopped using the bags.

First I started doing full boils and shortly after that I started doing all grain batches.

Full boils will increase your hop utilization from 25-50% alone just from the decrease in boil gravity. I personally dont think the bags hurt much at all, I still get plenty of hops in my trub cone in my kettle after boiling with them in bags

I put together a simple hop bag much like the one Sparky posted:
Keggle_HopBag.JPG

3" PVC coupling, short piece of 1/4" threaded rod, a fine mesh hop bag from the LHBS, some zip ties and string. The zip ties are permanently placed around the bottom of the coupling to create a lip, and then I attach the bag by tying with string. Well under $10, and that's including the overpriced mesh bag from the LHBS instead of using a cheaper paint strainer bag from a hardware store.
I'm VERY happy with it. I can drain out every last drop from the kettle, without any wort lost to hop matter, and without having to spend even a second trying to avoid sucking up hops or clean them out of a filter or whatever.

Funkenjaeger said:
I put together a simple hop bag much like the one Sparky posted:
Keggle_HopBag.JPG

3" PVC coupling, short piece of 1/4" threaded rod, a fine mesh hop bag from the LHBS, some zip ties and string. The zip ties are permanently placed around the bottom of the coupling to create a lip, and then I attach the bag by tying with string. Well under $10, and that's including the overpriced mesh bag from the LHBS instead of using a cheaper paint strainer bag from a hardware store.
I'm VERY happy with it. I can drain out every last drop from the kettle, without any wort lost to hop matter, and without having to spend even a second trying to avoid sucking up hops or clean them out of a filter or whatever.

I must say I moved to a similar one of these a few batches ago. Works great.

I made one similar to Sparky's. I used a 4" ABS coupling and two removable 1/4" copper tubing pieces in about a 13" length. This way I have copper resting on the SS keggle with 4 points of contact instead of steel. SS band clamp holds the paint strainer on fine. I was going to dremel in a groove for the band clamp, but I don't think it is necessary.

The best part is I drain right thru my CFC and don't have to worry about clogging.

Question: Do you pull it out half way thru draining to primary to whirlpool the wort? I want to avoid getting the hot break (and some hops) into my primary.

What is the benefit of these compares to just tying hops in a bag and tossing them in?

I just make my wife bring some of those foot pantyhose thingies they have at shoe stores. They make great hop bags. And they're free! (she does by shoes so I consider it even).

Havent noticed any difference in the hoppiness of my brews.

Ender
-I'm smelling a lotta IF comming offa this plan-

SuperiorBrew said:
What is the benefit of these compares to just tying hops in a bag and tossing them in?

I was wondering the samething. I'm guessing you throw away the hop bags but re-use this one. Question is do want you clean it everytime?

I was wondering how you stir with this on the keggle?

I'm thinking of doing this just for my clip-on thermometer.

Oh Crap - I just remembered I forgot the Irish Moss last night in cheeses VCCA. :mad:

Cleaning is easy. Rinse after to get the big gunk out. Toss in the regular wash with whites.

Also, If you add hops at different times, or even continuously, would you not have to have several hop bags to throw in?

I admit, stirring to obtain whirlpool is the only drawback.

gonzo brewer said:
Cleaning is easy. Rinse after to get the big gunk out. Toss in the regular wash with whites.

Also, If you add hops at different times, or even continuously, would you not have to have several hop bags to throw in?

I admit, stirring to obtain whirlpool is the only drawback.

+1, except I don't even bother taking the bag off and washing it. It's clean enough for me with 60 seconds from the hose.

I don't whirlpool, so the lack of stirrability (like that one?) doesn't bother me.

Back