Bottle Condition Early?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rionato

Reaction score
So, I made a miscalculation in my fermentation timing. I am staying at my parents house over Christmas break. I brewed a Belgian trappist on Thursday night. I was just going to let in sit in the primary until Monday and then rack it into a carboy (with a bunch of the yeast cake to make sure it had enough help to finish the ferment). But being the wise guy that I am, I forgot that I don't have any carboys at my parents house! I have to go back to school on Monday, and I won't be back to their house until early March. I don't think it is a good idea to leave the brew in a plastic bucket for the better part of three months.
So, this is my idea: I have a bunch of champagne bottles. So, I am thinking about adding a very little bit of priming sugar to the brew on Monday (3 1/2 days into fermentation) and then putting it in the champagne bottles to condition. I figure the champagne bottles can take the extra pressure, but am I going to end up with a funky tasting brew, or just a lot of trub in the bottom of my bottles?

Teach a parent to package beer day is in order. Better off trying that instead of what you are planning. 3.5 days into fermentation would more than likely put off all the CO2 you would want without priming sugar even if you decided to go that way. And how exactly were you going to cap the bottles?

I would do a Belgian Trappist as follows: Primary for about 2-3 weeks and secondary for another 2-4 weeks then let then bottle age for another month or so. How you planned to rack to a carboy in 3.5 days is beyond me. Most of my fermentations don't even begin to slow down in that time.

Sounds like samc's idea of getting a parent to do the transfer is the best plan at this point.

As far as 3 months, that would be good timing for the finished product.

Enjoy broken champagne bottles if you bottle them. Thinking about racking to secondary 4 days after pitching is well very stupid. Just leave the beer in the primary until you go home in march. A trappist needs plenty of time to condition anyway,

I'd leave it in the bucket and place it where it wont be disturbed.

Agreed. Just leave it. Or buy another carboy online and ship it to your parents house. I'm not sure if I'd trust them to rack to secondary but you could probably walk them through it.

This idea of bottling it in champagne bottles sounds like a great recipe for failure IMHO. I don't mean to offend but I really just don't see it turning out well.

Thanks guys.
I think I will just leave it in the bucket for the balance of the time (though, I am sort of curious if my champagne bottle Idea will work so I might siphon off one bottle's worth).
I have seen guys just cap a champagne bottle with a normal beer bottle cap (pretty sure that was on brewing TV)

I've left beers for 3 months with no problems. Just leave it.

Back