Electric control panel build.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux

Reaction score
Having been a union electrician for 12 years I think it's time I build an electric set up. More pictures to follow.

image-3302156939.jpg
Control panel.

image-52863264.png
Future HLT and MLT.

:cross:Union electrician huh? This may take you awhile... ;)

I kid. It looks good!

onthekeg said:

I kid. It looks good!

We only work slow at work!

onthekeg said:

I kid. It looks good!

That is funny!!

The OP is going to be getting a lot on electrical questions from everyone building a brew sculpture. Looks like a pretty solid start!!

image-3462396606.jpg

Boil kettle done!
1- camco 5500 watt element from home depot.
1- k type thermocouple from auber.
1- 1/2" stainless ball valve and bulkhead assembly from bargain fittings.
1- 30A 3 wire dryer repair cord from home depot.

Forgot about the 1/4-20 stainless wing nut and neoprene washer from ace hardware to fasten the k type and earth.

I have built 6 different keggles but the first time with a plastic coated keg, what a pain! The rubber on the top is about 3/4" thick.

image-4218360030.jpg

image-2631219549.jpg

Mash tun.
1- 12" false bottom with 1/2" ball valve and dip tube assembly from Nor Cal brewing solutions.
Still have to scrub it out- and notch the rim. I cut the top out to small to fit the false bottom.

Brickout said:
Looking good!

Nice meeting you the other day.

Did you try the wit? What about that keg did you find one? I have been trying to get in contact with a seller on Craigslist that has two for sale. If I get them I'll keep you in mind. What do you want it for- boil?

Did you try the wit? What about that keg did you find one? I have been trying to get in contact with a seller on Craigslist that has two for sale. If I get them I'll keep you in mind. What do you want it for- boil?

No not yet. People got drunk too yearly on NYE and I didn't want to waste it. I'm going to have some tonight.

No luck on the kegs. I tried the guy I CL too, but I have not heard back from him yet. Ideally I'd like one for a BK and one for a HLT.

Tried the wit last night, excellent! So good I had another.

No luck on those kegs on CL. Looks like they sold because the ad is gone.

Brickout said:
Tried the wit last night, excellent! So good I had another.

No luck on those kegs on CL. Looks like they sold because the ad is gone.
Would you want 1/4 barrels?

I made a main power cord for the panel so I could disconnect and move the panel. And the parts were free from work.
image-2671272219.jpg

I used a garvin and 30A receptacle because it was cheap and easily replaced/ upgraded.
image-820826295.jpg

The control panel will eventually have three PID's and control pumps. But to start out with electric it will only control one element.
image-2846469993.jpg

Still have to mount the internal components, pipe and pull the 30A 4 wire 240, mount the GFCI breaker, and wire the control panel.

jtsims21 said:
This is for the element plug?

looking nice!

Yeah, the element is wired using a dryer repair cord. 3 #10. It will plug into that receptacle controlled by an SSR.

Hopefully performing a test boil/ leak test this weekend. Maybe brewing after test.

image-2998209525.jpg

Piped and pulled for 30A receptacle. Getting closer.

image-3496963637.jpg

This is what a panel looks like after scabs get done with it. I inherited this when I bought my house. One of these days I'll clean it up- maybe.

Started wiring up the panel. About half way done. Sucks for guys that don't do electrical work, they have buy tools they will only use once.

image-3757901152.jpg

ya that sucks when you buy tools and only use them once. like the way contractors think tuggers should never leave the shop becuase we can pull 750's by hand right.

Spooner61 said:
ya that sucks when you buy tools and only use them once. like the way contractors think tuggers should never leave the shop becuase we can pull 750's by hand right.

You working? We got 2300 sittin.

no 1/3 of our local is down, work in oregon and north dakota though. looks like i will be travling. on the road again. trust me my swmbo loves the idea.

I have built 6 different keggles but the first time with a plastic coated keg, what a pain! The rubber on the top is about 3/4" thick.
View attachment 42326

Whoa, I have a couple of those myself, but never got around to messing with them. What technique did you use to cut the top? Guessing the fittings are weldless bulkhead? Any issues with coating exposed to heat?

Nice looking rig.

MrNatural said:
Whoa, I have a couple of those myself, but never got around to messing with them. What technique did you use to cut the top? Guessing the fittings are weldless bulkhead? Any issues with coating exposed to heat?

Nice looking rig.

I ran the grinder with a cutoff wheel around the top with my guide to scribe a line. Then I cut out the rubber with a utility knife and pry bar. Once the rubber was off I went back with the grinder with cutoff wheel. I used weldless fittings but will eventually go welded.

MrNatural said:
Thanks. Not worried about the plastic crud burning?

I'll cut off 2" or so around the weld area. It might still burn, but I'm not to worried about it.

Definitely a learning curve on the new system! Keggle mash tuns are totally different than coolers. Guess I'm doing a decoction mash tonight.

image-1486117064.jpg

Heating wort.

image-4185128811.jpg

Temp brewery until the gherms is done.

image-3754334532.jpg

Old bath fan ventilation.

image-1171565877.jpg

Brains!

How is the bath fan working for you? I am building a brew room in my basement under the front porch and need to plan some ventilation. I was at HD this afternoon and I think the largest bath fan was around 70 cfm. I was thinking I would need more around 250cfm or better to pull the moisture out. The kitchen hood fans didn't hit near 250 either so maybe I won't need that many cfm's. I am lucky enough to be able to direct vent it out the brick wall.

ETA: I must have hit replay before you posted the bath fan wasn't cutting it and let that window sit open a while, I am watching a movie too.

Hoosier-Brewer said:
How is the bath fan working for you? I am building a brew room in my basement under the front porch and need to plan some ventilation. I was at HD this afternoon and I think the largest bath fan was around 70 cfm. I was thinking I would need more around 250cfm or better to pull the moisture out. The kitchen hood fans didn't hit near 250 either so maybe I won't need that many cfm's. I am lucky enough to be able to direct vent it out the brick wall.

ETA: I must have hit replay before you posted the bath fan wasn't cutting it and let that window sit open a while, I am watching a movie too.

Yeah! The bath fan did nothing. Its not so much the steam as its the condensation, it drips into and around the kettle. Might be an issue after/during chilling. I saw some where some one used a rubbermaid storage tote upside down with an exhaust fan attached- that would work. Maybe hang it with a pitch to help drain the condensation to obe side into a bucket.

Brewed a hopped up red ale last night. Missed all my numbers but ended up with 8 gallons with a FG of 1.060. Checked it this morning and its happily bubbling away. First electric batch.

Latest posts

Back