Err, help making this recipe? (GenX Belgium Pale Ale)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

demens

Reaction score
So here's the thing. Ordered this recipe "kit" from Brewmasters. I guess i did not know what i was ordering since its lacking a few components of a "kit". For 1 it came with no instructions and this being my 2nd batch i'm not panicking but dont feel confident i can do it without help. I'll contact them as well but wanted to get help here 1st.

Here is what came with the order:

GenX Belgium Pale Ale-
---SAFALE US-05 American Ale
---Fuggles Pellets, UK 3oz
---Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 1lb
---Briess 2 Row Caramel 60 1lb
---Briess Pilsen Extra Light Liquid Extract 5.5lb
----------------------------------------------------

I had the presence of mind to add bottle caps to the order since i noticed it was not included. Did not realize priming sugar was not included also. :( Guess will have to order that later.

Got the yeast, got the extract, got the hops (3 packets of 1oz). Confused about what

---Briess 2 Row Caramel 40 1lb
---Briess 2 Row Caramel 60 1lb

is?

I'm guessing those are the grains since thats the only other thing in the package. But its in one package, should they be mixed together like that? I dont get it.

Anyway...onto the instructions...?

How long to steep the grains? 20 min?
How long to boil the extract?
When to add the hops? All at the same time?

How long is this thing suppose to ferment? 2ndary?

OK, feel a bit silly since i found some instructions on the site.

Recipe Notes

2-3 Gallons Water

-Add Steeping Grains - Heat to 170 F

Remove from heat

-Add Pale Malt Extract (6 lbs.)

Bring to Boil

-Add 1 oz. Fuggles @ 60min

-Add 1 oz. Fuggles @ 15min

-Add 1 tsp. Irish Moss @15min

-Add 1 oz. Fuggles @ 5 min

Cool to below 80 F and transfer to fermenter

Pitch yeast - Safale US-05 American Ale

Still though, what is Irish Moss? And how is the fermenting?

The Caramel 40 and 60 are steeping grains. OK that they're mixed together. Steep for 20-30 minutes at 150-165 degrees or so. Boil for 60 minutes.

Not sure about hops. Maybe 2 ounces at beginning of boil and the last ounce at 10 minutes. I'm, not sure what kind of beer it is supposed to be (it's not Belgian).

You can use table sugar to prime.

EDIT: I was a bit late. Irish Moss is a clarifier. You can always do without it. No effect on taste.

You mean this recipe?: http://www.brewmasterswarehouse.com/recipe/de1c478e/

The directions are below the ingredients:

Recipe Notes
2-3 Gallons Water

-Add Steeping Grains - Heat to 170 F

Remove from heat

-Add Pale Malt Extract (6 lbs.)

Bring to Boil

-Add 1 oz. Fuggles @ 60min

-Add 1 oz. Fuggles @ 15min

-Add 1 tsp. Irish Moss @15min

-Add 1 oz. Fuggles @ 5 min

Cool to below 80 F and transfer to fermenter

Pitch yeast - Safale US-05 American Ale

I assume the grains are mixed together. I've never heard of that beer, and it's posted by "anonymous" so I don't know whose recipe that is. I will say that with American ale yeast, it will be nothing like a Belgian beer but may be a very tasty ESB type beer. I probably wouldn't buy a kit whose contributor was "anonymous".

This is what I got, with help from beersmith and the addition of one ingredient.

Steep grains at 150 - 165 F for 20 to 25 minutes

Bring to boil (2.5 gallons)

Take off heat for addition of malt

5.5 Pilsner LME

1 lb DME (extra ingredient to add OG/ABV)

Bring back to boil

Add 2 ounce of hops (60 minutes)

Add 1 ounce of hops (15 minutes)

Final calcs:

OG: 1.050
FG: 1.013
SRM: 13.7
IBU: 23.5
ABV: 4.8%

This should match style guidelines for a Belgian Pale Ale according to BJCP, at least the numerical ones.

But you need Belgian yeast. No reason the OP couldn't save the S-05 for another batch and buy Belgian yeast locally, assuming he has a decent LHBS in the vicinity.

Follow up question:

How long should i ferment this?

My first brew (Amber Ale) i did 2 weeks primary + 1 week secondary. Fermentation was "done" in 5 days. Beer turned out very good.

This is now day 9 for this one in the primary. Hydrometer readings has been consistent since day 5 as well. 1.010 which is slightly lower then the expected 1.013. OG was lower then expected as well 1.043 vs 1.051.

I'm thinking of sticking with what i did the 1st time. Let it clean up a bit for 5 more days (2 weeks in primary total) and then more to 2ndary for a week to clear up a bit.

What do you guys think?

The consensus view on these forums is you don't need a secondary for this sort of beer. I'd definitely leave it in primary for a bit (the yeast is probably still conditioning even if the FG is low). You could bottle after two weeks in primary, but an extra week or two beyond that might help and wouldn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back