Need help making recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

digdan

Reaction score
I have a friend who wants me to make a mead with rasperries, blackberries, and strawberries. A very berry mead if you will.

I have three options of honey :
Blackberry
Clover
Orange Blossom

I know I need pectic enzymes, and that I wish to make it between dry-medium, to sweet-medium... but

I have no idea on what type of yeast to use, nor the quantities suggested for each type of berry.

Any experience or suggestions would greatly be appreciated

There is a great recipie for a mixed berry mead in The Compleat Meadmaker by Ken Schramm. I think its called Mambo in your Mouth or something similiar. The book is great with tons of info for the beginer to the more advanced.

Let me Google it for you.

There are also several recipies in the mead database here at HBT. Use someone's tried and true recipie and change it to fit your needs if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd use the clover or the blackberry with the berries, the fruit is going to some of the honey flavour, so why use the more expensive varietals? Though the blackberry honey may add a little more complexity. As far as yeast, I like D-47. I've heard that it sometimes peters out early, but I've never had that happen. I also like RC212. In the words of Jack keller: "Choose your yeast as you would choose a tool." You may find this useful: Winemaking: Strains of Wine Yeast Regards, GF.

Back