Five-year-old, bulk-aged mead, finally bottled, some corks being pushed out

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Echoloc8

Acolyte of Fermentalism
Reaction score
So I made this mead in midsummer 2007: 1.100 OG orange blossom honey, split into two 3-gal carboys; one oaked, one unoaked. Siphoned out a bottle or two every -mumble- months for parties and the like. Exquisite mead in both cases.

Finally decided about two weeks ago to combine the remnants (2:1 unoaked to oaked) into a roughly 2.5 gal batch for bottling. Put in 3 crushed Campden tablets, let sit for 15 min, and bottled with natural corks.

Yup, I goofed: no degassing, and possibly not enough time after adding the tablets, which I think might be biting me in the butt now: three of the 12 bottles have begun pushing out their corks. OTOH, I only stood them up for 24 hrs after bottling, which might mean that they'll be OK.

What do you guys think? I didn't bother with a FG reading, because geez, it's been five years!

-Rich

You need to add potassium sorbate along with the campden tablets in order to stabilize so this doesn't happen. Amazing how a little fermentation can remain that long.

Back