Kriek Lambic from extract kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerClaw

Reaction score
Hi, I want to starting a Kriek Lambic soon in order the have it ready for late summer. I have been think of using the following items to make it: Morgan's Golden Wheat Kit, 6 lbs frozen sour cherries, Saaz hops & a liquid lambic yeast pack.

I would follow the morgans kit instructions asides from the addition of hops & lambic yeast and ferment two weeks. Then secondary onto the cherries and let go for 3-4 months.

My questions are:

Is this a good idea and will it replicate a kriek well?

I can only source frozen sour cherries here in Canada. Should I puree them and then sterilize them with campden tablets? If so how many campden and for how long? Would the addition of campden stop fermentation in the secondary?

Would any specialty grains be a good addition, if so which ones and what quantity?

Any other sujestions would be great!

Thanks,
Dan

I have heard good things about Northern Brewer's Dawson's Kriek recipe. They use the Oregon Cherry puree and I would probably go with that. The recipe and the kit can be found on their website.

I have heard good things about Northern Brewer's Dawson's Kriek recipe. They use the Oregon Cherry puree and I would probably go with that. The recipe and the kit can be found on their website.

I have seen the oregon puree but unfortunately no food products can be shipped to Canada. Seems the frozen pitted cherries are the only thing I can find.

I have seen the oregon puree but unfortunately no food products can be shipped to Canada. Seems the frozen pitted cherries are the only thing I can find.

Ah crap, sorry. Got any Whole Foods type place near you? I found the Oregon stuff in a high end supermarket near me and was surprised they carried it. You might find a similar product tucked away in an aisle at one of those places.

Dawson's Kriek is indeed a very good kit. It will make a very nice psuedo-lambic kriek. (I only point this out because of the large amount of work that goes into making true lambic. It is still a very good kit.)

Back