American Pale Ale Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can you reccommend a whitelab yeast in place of the dry? this is my first all grain batch and i always use whitelab yeast for extract, so i want to do an equal comparison to see if all grain is worth the extra time.

WLP001

I just made this with Safale 05, and it came out great.

I am drinking some right now, it was kegged then bottled from the keg. It's kind of bitter at first drink but gets better as i consume more...That's the wifes Captian and coke in the background :tank:

CIMG2442.jpg

I'm want to try this recipie in the morning.
Will it be ok to use crystal 20 , instead of the crystal 10?
Or should I use less to keep the beer lighter? (1/4lb?)
LHBS was out. :(

I'm want to try this recipie in the morning.
Will it be ok to use crystal 20 , instead of the crystal 10?
Or should I use less to keep the beer lighter? (1/4lb?)
LHBS was out. :(

You wont notice any difference with the 20, I would go ahead and brew.

I just pulled the last pint, but at least I got a full one! :mug:
But between the multiple projects I have going on around the house and the cold weather, this will be my last for a while :(

If i use leaf hops for this recipe would that be the same amount? I have been using pellets in a muslin bag lately it just doesn't seem like i am getting the sharp cascade flavor to come through.

Does this need to be dry hopped? I brewed this a month ago and came back to look at the recipe and I don't see anything about dry hopping in the original?

Brewed this baby on saturday as my first AG, ive already fermented it to my FG of 1.010 so into the secondary she goes. Couldnt resist pouring myself a glass while I racked, its only been going for 4 and a half days and its already great! Cant wait to see what its like after conditioning/carb

For those of you who did the extract versions, in how much water did you steep the 8 oz of crystal? At what temperature and time? The only info I could find in the recipe is for both the crystal and vienna, and I'm not sure how the water volume would change just using one of them. Thank you.

I was just looking back at the recipe to order the stuff again. I noticed the brewmasters warehouse link and decided to order it from there bc it was cheaper to buy the kit than it was for me to piece it together. Anyway, i noticed that I recieved the package really fast. I looked on the fedex ticket and saw it was it georgia and i am in sc, FINALLY!! i have someone that i can order from that is close to home. This means i can order liquid yeast with no worries, thanks ed!!

I was just looking back at the recipe to order the stuff again. I noticed the brewmasters warehouse link and decided to order it from there bc it was cheaper to buy the kit than it was for me to piece it together. Anyway, i noticed that I recieved the package really fast. I looked on the fedex ticket and saw it was it georgia and i am in sc, FINALLY!! i have someone that i can order from that is close to home. This means i can order liquid yeast with no worries, thanks ed!!

Ed ROCKS!!!!
:rockin:

I just brewed the same kit on Sunday... Checked in on it when I got home today... Nice fluffy white krausen and those yeasties are tearing stuff UP!.. Fermenter smells wonderful...

Hope yours turns out great...

:mug:

I kegged mine after about 14 days in the primary. I'm getting some green apple flavor and the hops are extremely bitter. This tells me the beer is young and green. I'm wondering if I stressed the yeast somehow. I'm going cellar condition it for another month in a soda keg. Ill taste it ones a week to see the difference aging makes.

No problem, I am glad you now have someone close to order from.

Today I did a little experimentation with my recipe. I added 1/2 pound of flaked barley (for 5 gallons) (since I have 50 pounds of the stuff). I also split my 10 gallon batch with two yeasts. Nottingham and Safale-05.

I'm going to tape the sensor of my freezer controller to one bucket and set the temp to 68 degrees. I'll report back any changes.

I'm expecting the flaked barley to add a little creaminess to the beer and better head retention.

How did the flaked barley turn out? Was that a step in the right direction on this beer?

I'm preparing to make this one. Couldn't pass on it since BierMuncher bragged on it also. Just wondering about the barley for head retention without impacting the overall flavor...

Thanks...

Thanks.

I wanted to do an extract version of this pale ale but my LHBS doesn't carry munich LME. They suggested a light pilsner LME instead. What do you guys think, any other suggestions for a substitue?

I just made my second batch of this recipe. You may remember, I really messed the first one up. I bought the wrong yeast and fermented it at about 85 degrees. :eek: But, after some aging it became quite drinkable.

This time I bought the right yeast and I've got a pretty good handle on fermentation temp. But, I didn't buy enough cascades. I thought the recipe only called for one ounce.

So I raided the freezer and here's what I came up with:

1 oz cascades (5.9%) @ :60
1/2 oz Amarillo (4.?%) @ :30
1/4 oz Crystal (3.6%) @ :15
1/4 oz Crystal (3.6%) @ :05

I can't wait to see how it turns out.

I served this beer as my first tap beer for the super bowl. It got rave reviews from everyone. I tried late malt additions as well and the bitterness from just 2 oz of cascade hops was great. Thanks Edwort.

Second AG batch brewing tonight. This one is it (1st was BM's Blonde). Got bad boilover on the first hop addition so I added another 0.25oz of cascades right at the start to make up for the loss of all those beautiful hop particles.

Also going to attempt the Biermuncher (Copper chiller in a grain bag-siphoning wort from the center) technique to leave some of the junk in the pot. We'll see how that goes.

Second AG batch brewing tonight. This one is it (1st was BM's Blonde). Got bad boilover on the first hop addition so I added another 0.25oz of cascades right at the start to make up for the loss of all those beautiful hop particles.

Also going to attempt the Biermuncher (Copper chiller in a grain bag-siphoning wort from the center) technique to leave some of the junk in the pot. We'll see how that goes.

Sounds interesting. Where did you pick up on this?

Cheers....

I just kegged this and it has absolutely no hop flavor or aroma to it. It came out really bland, and all I taste is malt. I used whole hops instead of pellets, but the target IBU is right on what Ed's original recipe has.

I hydrated my yeast appropriately, and had good action on the airlock ~12 hours after pitching. It sat solid at 66 degrees the entire time.

The only thing different is that I used Carahell instead of Crystal 10 which I couldn't find anywhere and went w/ Safale-05 instead of the Nottingham.

I had high hopes for this beer because it's close to a beer that a local brewery creates that I love. That, and all the raving everyone else has been doing over this beer intrigued me.

If anyone has any ideas on why this happened, I'm all ears.

Here's the recipe :
Recipe: American Pale Ale (Ed Wort)
Style: American Pale Ale
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.50 gal
Boil Size: 7.12 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 4.7 SRM
Estimated IBU: 39.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 75.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 76.19 %
2 lbs Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 19.05 %
8.0 oz Carahell (Weyermann) (13.0 SRM) Grain 4.76 %
1.00 oz Cascade [7.60 %] (60 min) Hops 22.3 IBU
0.75 oz Cascade [7.60 %] (30 min) Hops 12.9 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.60 %] (15 min) Hops 2.8 IBU
0.25 oz Cascade [7.60 %] (5 min) Hops 1.1 IBU
1 Pkgs Safale Dry Ale Yeast (Fermentis #US-05) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Total Grain Weight: 10.50 lb
----------------------------
Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
60 min Mash In Add 3.26 gal of water at 167.3 F 152.0 F

I bought them a few days before I brewed from my LHBS. But that doesn't mean much I suppose if they were to have received old hops.

I'm seriously considering doing this over with only pellets or hops from another HBS. I mean, there's not much there for me to screw up.

But yeah, I never thought of the age of the hops, that may be the culprit.

My 6th batch ever and 2nd partial mash. I tried my best to follow the recipe, but got an OG of 1.06. Anything I should do, or just let it ride. I am thinking of adding some more water right now just after pitching the yeast. Bad idea?

I made a PM batch of this a few months ago. Brewing went great, but I had some bottle carbonation problems (temp control issues). Fixed that by warming things up.

The first month or so after bottle conditioning, I kept thinking that this beer really wasn't that good. Based on everyone's comments, I assumed I must have done something wrong. I was kind of disappointed...

So yesterday, I took some of my beer to a family party. I had not had one of the Haus Pale Ales in a few weeks. Someone had obviously stolen the crappy beer out of the bottles and replaced it with an AWESOME beer. It was absolutely fantastic (got lots of complements from the family).

I know the veterans will tell me I should have expected this, but I was amazed at how the beer changed with time. It completely transformed from a mediocre/crappy beer to one of the best I've ever made in the space of about a month. I went from never wanting to make this again to wanting to re-make it as my next batch.

Nice job, Ed, and thanks!

Ed,

My brother and I brewed the Haus as our first all grain and first double batch last thursday. Everything went great. Ended up with a little more than 11 gallons, so the O.G. was 1.048, but we hit a little over 70% efficiency on our first try! Thanks for the straight forward and economical recipe!

Unfortunately, our smaller carboy exploded within 18 hours of pitching the yeast and we lost about 4.5 gallons. But we still have about 7 in the larger carboy, so not a total loss. We replaced the airlock on the large carboy with a blow off tube and haven't had any problems with that one.

Fast forward to today...I removed the blow off tube and replaced it with an airlock on the remaining 7 gallon carboy. There is still some airlock activity. Fermentation is in day 5 now and the temperature has been holding steady around 70 degrees.

While I had the top open, I used a theif and took a sample and adjusted for temperature, the gravity is at 1.008. You indicate that the F.G. should be 1.011. It's only been 5 days, should I be concerned? Is this an indication of mash temperatures being too low?

I tasted the sample and it wasn't bad. It was at room temp of course, and not carbonated. I didn't taste or smell as much hop as I expected. I have an extra ounce of Cascade pellets. Would you suggest transfering to a bright tank and dry hopping with a hop bag for a week? If so, would you use the whole ounce for 7 gallons?

3265926883_3a4ede5002.jpg

After Pitching Yeast & Aeration (good head already!)

3266754224_357701cd33.jpg

Tragedy - Smaller Carboy Explodes around 18 hours after pitching

RunBikeBrew-

I've brewed this twice and I've always polished off the whole batch before it's ready, with the excpetion of the beer i'm drinking right now! After about three months in the bottle, and this beer is exceptional! Will have to try this again one of these days, and keep them out of sight for a while!

keelanfish--bummer about the blown carboy, I had no idea they'd explode without a blowoff tube! Looks to me like the mash temp was a bit low, but I don't think your gravity will go much lower than it is now. For seven gallons, i'd say a healthy half ounce would be enough to dry hop this beer. But I'm no ed...so I'd take his advice :mug:

LHBS doesn't stock a 10L Crystal Malt - would subbing the same amt of CaraHell make much of a difference? From what I can find, it's a light crystal malt, right?

LHBS doesn't stock a 10L Crystal Malt - would subbing the same amt of CaraHell make much of a difference? From what I can find, it's a light crystal malt, right?

That's what I used when I made it. I had no issues w/ it. It was the lack of hop definition that made mine a disappointment. The malt profile was fine.

I just re-ordered from another HBS and plan on doing take two next weekend. Hopefully I'll have better luck w/ the hops from this place.

I subbed for Crystal 45 and it turned out just fine. A bit darker then the original but the taste was perfect!

3266754224_357701cd33.jpg

Tragedy - Smaller Carboy Explodes around 18 hours after pitching

Wow I've never seen a carboy just explode like that. Usually the airlock or the cap gives way before the bottle does and just shoots out crap all over the ceiling (from the pictures I've seen). I guess that's just another reason to always start your brews with a blow-off hose, I'd hate to loose any of my glass carboys.

how hot was the wort when you put it in the carboy?

I used an immersion chiller to cool to 70. It was in the 20's outside, so it cooled another 10 degrees during the time it took to finish draining into the carboys, so I don't think temperature had anything to do with it. It must have had a defect or weak spot, but we've used it for more than 3 years without problem.

Oh well, anyone with additional thoughts about dry hopping the remaining 7 gallons? I've got an extra ounce of cascade pellets.

I used an immersion chiller to cool to 70. It was in the 20's outside, so it cooled another 10 degrees during the time it took to finish draining into the carboys, so I don't think temperature had anything to do with it. It must have had a defect or weak spot, but we've used it for more than 3 years without problem.

Oh well, anyone with additional thoughts about dry hopping the remaining 7 gallons? I've got an extra ounce of cascade pellets.

I will be kegging (my first beer to be kegged, WOO), a variation of this recipe on tuesday which I dry hopped with an ounce of Cascade. It seems pretty nice and tasty when i took a bit out for measuring! Go for it!! :mug:

Back