Wacky Brewing Ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

landhoney

Reaction score
Its late so take this with a grain of salt. If you could somehow put your mash liquid into a giant centrifuge, spin it, then remove/dump the 'water' on top, and then do the same thing with the sparge runnings you would essentially be making extract or and extract like wort that would be added to water after boiling/hop additions like an extract brew. I was just thinking about this because the first runnings have more sugar and they sink. I don't know how you'd build this either, if it would work, or what advantages there would be - but it made wonder if anybody else has weird brewing ideas?
And yes I know I'm an idiot, so lets move on.

are you high?

I reckon it would work but don't rightly know why you'd do it

brewing is definatly more than just making beer though....it's about thinking up new techniques and building your own equipment

so: happy brewing!

The only reason I would see to do it is because you could get the small boil volume advantage(sorta) of extract with the frugality and control of AG. I mainly thought it was a funny idea, I'm not saying I would consider doing it. I just thought I'd see if anyboday else had any crazy ideas if anything were possible.

I have considered this too. I envisioned always keeping the mash moving, like mixing concrete. When your mash is done. Just kick up the speed and the sugars would spin out. You would absolutely need to use CO2 to purge the centrifuge first though

z987k said:
Now there's an idea! 0 gravity brewing!

Doesn't Budweiser already have that covered???? Oh, oh, you meant Zero Grav as in space... (without that quote your post looks funny)

Actually, the sugars are in a solution and you cannot separate it by that technique, if you did spin it, you would only get out the sediment (husks, debris) so the beer would be very clear, but no more concentrated. The only way to concentrate the wort is by boiling, I think they make extract by putting it in a vacuum to lower the pressure and make the wort boil at a much lower temp thus saving energy and making it more cheaply.

Latest posts

Back